Hot Rod Forum banner

Remote cooler location?

1116 Views 20 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  cerial
Hello all,
I have yet to find a forum on a vehicle site dedicated to cooling issues. So, I am going to ask you all here.
I have an S10, OEM V6.
I installed a pusher fan and removed the clutch fan. That freed up a lot of room.
Now I'd like to install transmission and steering coolers. I have properly sized fans to fit them, left over from another time, another place.
I do not want to slow air flow through the radiator going down the highway.
Should I space the coolers behind, and off the radiator a inch or two, or mount them somewhere else?
I use rubber beaker plugs for spacers, with zip ties, to mount them on the radiator. Been doing so for years without problems.
This is my first use of a pusher fan.
Thank you.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16,339 Posts
Let start with the year and model of the S10 and what fan was in there. The 11 blade fan, if used, moves a lot of air there really isn’t anything on the market that comes close.

About the only place on the S10 to mount auxiliary heat exchangers is behind the bumper and it’s under skirt. Here you have to provide an air source with a shallow linear scoop or drilled or cut vent holes. Another is under the bed but that requires plumbing with long runs.

Bogie

· Registered
16,339 Posts
Yes but the radiator is supplying preheated air. The effectiveness of heat transfer depends on the temperature difference of air entering over the fins to the liquid temp in the tubes. The colder the air flow compared to the hot liquid the faster and larger the heat transfer to the passing air. The other answers are a larger surface area or higher air flow.

My experience with V8 swaps in these and other smaller things doesn't leave much space in these things even with pusher fans stuffed between grill and condenser or radiator. Even my Alfa Spider that swapped a Ford 302 while living in Houston I sacrificed the factory AC for the V8, I have different priorities than air conditioning and stereo’s in my personal vehicles.

If your have heating problems that occurred after a successful build I’d look to age related changes in the cooling system from then to present or to tune changes to the engine.

I havent paid much attention to the Chevy V6 from 97 to 06 so I really don’t know how compatible an 07 is if you’re running it of the 97 computer. So there is this question sitting here as well.

Bogie

· Registered
16,339 Posts
I wanted to avoid the conversation. I am trying this change. If it fails I will go to a puller fan of some sort.
I'm seeing how much power loss, before it ever reaches the wheels, that I can free up.
I haven't paid new for anything, and can resell what I've bought.
Eventually I want to try an electric water pump. I have all the brackets and accessories on hand from a fan belt, 4 barrel engine that was given to me. I just need a pump. I'd like a new, 55 gpm one, to be better able to cool at low rpm.
I run at low rpms. No racing for me. Eventually, maybe, I will add a low rpm cam and top end parts. I've never bought a cam or had an engine with a non factory one.
I have a lot of projects, all waiting on funding.
The power consumption curve is very slow till the RPMs get high. If your reaching for cash and glory it’s something to worry about, if going to work on the interstate not so much.

Bogie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts