Hot Rod Forum banner

Remote cooler location?

1116 Views 20 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  cerial
Hello all,
I have yet to find a forum on a vehicle site dedicated to cooling issues. So, I am going to ask you all here.
I have an S10, OEM V6.
I installed a pusher fan and removed the clutch fan. That freed up a lot of room.
Now I'd like to install transmission and steering coolers. I have properly sized fans to fit them, left over from another time, another place.
I do not want to slow air flow through the radiator going down the highway.
Should I space the coolers behind, and off the radiator a inch or two, or mount them somewhere else?
I use rubber beaker plugs for spacers, with zip ties, to mount them on the radiator. Been doing so for years without problems.
This is my first use of a pusher fan.
Thank you.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped all the ye 97 stuff on the 06. I updated to the newer injectors..
My concern is keeping the transmission cool and not impeding air flow. Maybe I can mount them 8n front of the radiator support, sideways, to catch air. Put the fans behind them for non moving cooling.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wanted to avoid the conversation. I am trying this change. If it fails I will go to a puller fan of some sort.
I'm seeing how much power loss, before it ever reaches the wheels, that I can free up.
I haven't paid new for anything, and can resell what I've bought.
Eventually I want to try an electric water pump. I have all the brackets and accessories on hand from a fan belt, 4 barrel engine that was given to me. I just need a pump. I'd like a new, 55 gpm one, to be better able to cool at low rpm.
I run at low rpms. No racing for me. Eventually, maybe, I will add a low rpm cam and top end parts. I've never bought a cam or had an engine with a non factory one.
I have a lot of projects, all waiting on funding.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Projects:
Get my CUCV 6.5 turbo with the towing build up back to running.
Build the 4 barrel 292 I6.
Build either the 3.0 mercruiser (making an intake is a pain). Or, build a 3.7 mercruiser.
Then find stuff to put them in.
I've a tractor or two needing rebuilds as well.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am looking for peak cooling at lower than racing rpms. The fan and water pump being belt driven, perform best at higher rpm. Electric out performs belt drive in the lower rpm range.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Much of that I appreciate.
I'm a fan of cast iron diff covers. Any stiffness is good in an axle.
I already own several fluid coolers, tube and fin, channel and fin types.
I'm staying with electric fans. Going to try some out of a Malibu.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sir, the comment was on the fact that a question gets asked and answers are given about something else. Your answers regarding your cooler placements was greatly appreciated.
Here, and on other sites, I have noticed if anyone, not just myself, ask a question regarding anything irregular, they are inundated with advice not at all asked for.
Example: "just put an LS in it". If I wanted to go V8, I would ask about that. If I wanted the belt driven fan, I wouldn't have said I going electric.
It is just plain annoying being second guessed.
Some of us are well aware of all the reasons not to, but still choose to walk uphill. Fully knowing we may achieve what little summit we have, for the satisfaction it gives us of having done so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts