Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
I installed a pusher fan and removed the clutch fan. That freed up a lot of room.
That's a really good way to make the average 4.3L V6 S10 overheat. Just sayin. I'm pretty sure the same goes for the older 2.8L models.

The original fan and fan clutch system on the S10 is way more than adequate to cool the engine. The 4.3L V6 S10s with the automatic transmission are rated to tow up to 6,000 pounds. I use 1997 with the Vortec 4.3L V6 to tow over 5,000 pounds regularly with no overheating issues. Of course, I have replaced my fan clutch whenever I've replaced the water pump. Both are replaced together as a unit whenever either fails.

I do have a steering cooler (bigger than the stock one), and an add on transmission cooler. The transmission cooler has a pusher fan in front of it. The steering cooler is actually between another pusher fan and the AC condenser. I added the condenser fan first because the one weakness of the stock S10 fan is that it doesn't keep the AC condenser cool enough in hot summer weather. Both my auxiliary coolers are in front of the AC condenser on mine.

· Registered
292 Posts
I'm seeing how much power loss, before it ever reaches the wheels, that I can free up.
Power loss to a mechanical fan on a properly selected and operating as designed fan clutch is almost zero when measured by any practical means in an operating vehicle. It's within the noise level between runs.

Don't believe me, go to your local drag strip. Make 3 runs with the original factory fan and shroud in place. Then remove the fan clutch and fan (and shroud if you want) and make 3 runs that way. Report back all the time slips.

I did this on a local deserted highway (zero to speed limit 65 runs), using Torque Pro to measure the zero to 60mph times, and using my 10Hz GPS unit. Results were identical either way. It was in the noise from the sampling lining up with the exact time I started and the exact time I hit 60mph.

Any "dyno testing" showing significant losses to a mechanical fan is flawed. Usually, they bolt the fan blade directly to the water pump pulley, which means there is no disengagement. Also, they never have the air flow of the moving vehicle, which reduces the "lost hp" even more because the fan is doing less work (and using less HP) in faster moving air with the clutch disengaged.

· Registered
292 Posts
I have yet to ever get answers to questions asked.
I do have a steering cooler (bigger than the stock one), and an add on transmission cooler. The transmission cooler has a pusher fan in front of it. The steering cooler is actually between another pusher fan and the AC condenser. I added the condenser fan first because the one weakness of the stock S10 fan is that it doesn't keep the AC condenser cool enough in hot summer weather. Both my auxiliary coolers are in front of the AC condenser on mine.
Weird, because I answered your question back on the 20th. I put mine in front of the radiator and AC Condenser. I've never had an issue with cooling.

Of course, my fan and shroud are stock for the 1997 S10, with two pusher fans in front, one small one directly in front of transmission cooler triggered by refrigerant pressure or transmisssion temperature. The other triggered by refrigerant pressure or engine temperature, and I've never seen either of them triggered by the temperature sensors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts