Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
High compression kills the drive end bushing, this will double the current draw on any starter. Crappy rebuilt starters have extra clearance between armature and fields, this makes for low torque. Gear drive is the way to go. The extra shaft and more precise machining takes the side load away from the bushings.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A solenoid is a remote activated electro - magnetic actuated switch. So is a relay . Fact is , when I started repairing cars , Fords had what was commonly referred to as a starter relay . Many other engines had a mechanically ( foot) activated starter switch .
Boy you must be old to remember the stomp starter:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Latech Is right as to why the Ford solenoid would cure a hot soak no start. The original start circuit worked ok under less than grueling conditions but when daytime temperatures exceed 100° electrical systems are stressed. The start circuit voltage would drop enough through wiring, switches and connections that it couldn’t engage the starter solenoid.We fought this every summer here in Texas thru the 70s and 80s primarily on Chevy vans, corvettes, suburbans, etc. Install a for Ford solenoid to help out the original starter circuit and that stopped reports of no starts for that vehicle. This was the preferred method of repair because no customer was interested in replacing switches, installing heavier gauge wire and hoping this was the cure. One lady had me install this system on her suburban to keep her from crawling under it and tapping on the starter while one of her kids turned the key. This was her husband’s CURE.
To answer the original question, no, it won’t make it start better all the time, just if it won’t start after a hot soak.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Never had a problem with a stock cheap rebuild GM starter when hot, even with the headers dented to fit around the starter. I just didn't like it that way so I run a GM permanent magnet starter in the 55. Came from DB Electrical for about $50. Used DB Electrical starters in a few cars and a garden tractor with no problems. They must pay the chinese 4 cents an hour instead of 3 cents.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts