Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,i have a 48 ford coupe custom,i would like a how to,remove the door and center post to make it a hardtop.im an experienced body man. but im not sure how to do this, any advice welcome...im boatbob2

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
It's simply fab work Bob. You cut off everything you don't want and make pieces that look like you do want. :) The windows are a whole different issue, it has been so long since I had one of those apart I don't remember how it looks.

Post some photos.

Brian

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hardtop

Hi Brian,i know how to cut off the center posts of my 48 ford coupe. what i dont know is how or what to do about the windows. i do not want a fixed rear window,that would defeat the purpose of making it a hardtop. i really need some advice..im boatbob2

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Upload some sideview shots of your car and maybe we can figure out where the window seam needs to be. I'd plan on making the door glass come back as far as possible close to the very rear edge of the door. The quarter glass is going to need to roll into the door opening slightly to provide a glass to glass seal. The quarter glass is also going to need some sort to channel attached with weatherstip on the front edge. It may require some studying and adaptation of exhisting quarter glass regulator design. One thing that should help is the fact that it's flat glass-no need to have a regulator with compound curves. I'd look at a 68-72 GM A body regulator design. You'll need to make tracks for the door glass and maybe change the regulator. Beef up the doors and roof at the cutlines. Plan on lots of trial fitting and testing.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I would lean to early 60's regulators-----up to 64 in the big cars had flat glass.
Also might be a good option to study to see how the glass comes together for sealing.

Also--roof sealing might be an issue.

Do ya have access to any convertibles in your area???

Getting hold of a convert. door and quarter glass might be a place to start.

But, this is not my forte------so I am just guessing here.

Bryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.