Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how to mount fiber glass front end properly on 69 nova using dzeues fasteners ive been looking for detailed instructions and can find none.the front end is not stock anymore the wheel wells have been removed as has the radiator and head light support the fire wa has been moved back 8 inches. roll cage extends through fire wall so i have nothing to attatch nose to.where and how do i put supports?.

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: RADNOVASS ]

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: RADNOVASS ]</p>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Its pretty much simple. You rivet the male end to the firewall and the female end to the frontend and your set. Zeus fasteners are easy to set up, just a pain in the ars to keep. After a few months of use the female end with viabrate and hollow out the whole its in the fiberglass with. Just make sure its held on very tight and snug to prevent this. If you need other help, let me know.

HK

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I didn't notice the post date!!! Back in the day. I had a 70 Nova drag car with a tube frame and a one piece tilt VFN glass front.

I used lightweight3/4" square tube. Bent it into a large semi-rectangular hoop. Welded some thin plates to it that positioned to the front of the hood, right where it used to be popular to put hood pins. Glassed the plates/tube to the inside of the hood and installed the hood pins thru it. Bolted solidly. (Dzus button could be used). I built two hinges, one on each lower frame tube that held the lower legs of the hoop to the frame. Using a "Pit" pin for the pivot point. Just push on the end button and pull. The front end is loose from the frame.

The rear of the hood was pinned to two lightweight plates pop riveted to the outer cowl near the base of the windshield. The lower rear of the front fender was also pinned to a plate mounted just forward of the rocker panel on each side.

All these points could be done with Dzus buttons.

To remove the front end. I just removed the rear four pins, tilted the assembly forward, released the front lower pit pins and the front end was off. I learned to place a spare tire on the ground under the front to hold the forward edge of the hood when tilted. Helped keep the nose assembly from getting scratched .

This lasted the five years the car was raced. Probably longer, as I lost track of the sold car. Saw consistent 130 mph's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Find a GOOD drag racing shop in your area that has probably hung a hundred front ends, and could probably take extra steps to make it more street durable if necessary. If you spend the money for fiberglass, dont risk ruining it ($$$) with a sub-par mounting job. They should be reasonable, less than the price of the fiberglass doghouse.

Look for yourself at the images of the mild steel "door hinges" that USbody sells, IMO... I'm not impresed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts