Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you remove window cranks and door handels on a 51 ford i am trying to figure out how to remove them so i can get off the door pannel so i can get a new hing pin put in i just cant figure out anything thanks for everyones help

·
Banned
431 Posts
not sure but.......

there should be a set screw on the handles somewhere.
most likely a flat head (thats how it is on chevys anyways).
look for a hole in the base of each handle.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
If you don't see a set screw (usually found on replacements rather than on original handles from the 50s), look behind the handle -- push the door panel away from the handle and you'll see a clip that encircles the post, locking the handle in place.

There are "plyers" that are used to get back there to remove these buggers, but the plyers force things apart rather than together, if you know what I mean.

You can sometimes manage it with two screwdrivers -- the clip is open at one end (U-shaped) and with one screwdriver on one "leg" of the clip, you can push the other "leg" of the clip with the other screwdriver and pop that puppy off. Then the handle will easily pull off it's post.

I hope that helps!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do believe the originals had a set screw. If it's the "omega" clip (looks like the omega symbol) the either go buy the removal tool at any parts place, or I usually use an old screwdriver that I bent the tip on a 90.
Good luck

·
Administrator
18,436 Posts
My 51 Ford PU has little pins through the handle and shaft. There is a spring loaded collar behind the handle. When you depress this collar you will see the pin. Knock it out and the handle falls off. If it's a car, I would imagine it's the same. That is the inside handles, right?

Outside handle has a set screw behind the door rubber. You can get at it without wrecking the rubber, just takes a little digging.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Someone told me of trick to get those "omega" clips off.

Drag a shop rag between handle and door panel and it will catch and pull it off - worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts