Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can someone please tell me the best ways to remove and then add a decal to the hood of my roadrunner? I know soapy water is one method...but ive read NOT to use dish soap with this..instead use liqid hand soap?? Also, is it true to use a hair dryer to remove the old decal?? What about the glue residue..I dont want to screw up my paint. :confused:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
I use dish soap to install decals, never had a problem. You don't use much of course, only a few drops in a gallon of water or so.

The biggest thing about putting on large decals is to be sure EVERYTHING is CLEAN I mean the bucket, rag or sponge to apply the water, the hood, your hands, I mean CLEAN. We are talking you would be happy to lick the inside of the bucket clean. Any tiny speck of dirt will look like a friggin ROCK under the decal.

We both the back of the decal and the panel. Lay the decal into place and sqeegee out the water. Using that blow drier will be a big help to dry out the last drops of water and to help the decal shape around any body lines or what not.

The sqeegee used is a pretty stiff one.

Brian

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Eastwood offers a Attachment to remove Decals-I had some removed on a Pickup at a Body Shop, and it worked fast (truck was done in about an hour)-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just for info, I put a tail stripe on my 69 Superbee, I used soapy water and a plastic squeegee. It turned out good but I had lots of little bubbles (air/water) trapped under the stripe. I was pretty frustrated. I tried to push the bubbles out and that didn't work very well. I gave up and let it sit overnight, the next morning 95% of the bubbles were gone. After a week or so the rest went away. I had never heard or read about the bubbles going away with time. These were small bubbles about the size of the head of a pin. The bigger ones need to be punctured and the water/air squeezed out. Hope this helps.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I bought a decal and stripe remover at the local auto parts store. It is round and looks like a big pencil eraser....you put it in a electric drill and remove your stripes or decals with it. It works great and does not harm the paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts