Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing to remove my Model T steering wheel from a '49 column. There's only one bolt and no other holes, so conventional pullers are out. I've tried using a 3" adjustable arm puller, but the radius' around the wheel arms and center keep me from getting any good grip.

I know there is an obvious way to remove these wheels, but to avoid buying any more tools that aren't going to work (I don't have any friends with pulling tools), can someone educate me on the proper way to remove this and with what tool so I can purchase/rent it and get it done correctly? Thanks in advance for help,

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would guess you have a brass acorn nut holding that T wheel on.
Use a dose of PB Blaster or other penetrant. Let it sit overnight.
Get a conventional nut with the same threads and screw it on 'til it is almost flush with the end of the shaft. Do not have any threads showing.
Take a large hammer and carefully and squarely give the nut a good solid smack. This should jar the wheel loose from the tapered shaft. Don't pound on it like you're breaking up concrete or driving a spike into a railroad tie. A good solid "POP" should do it.
If this doesn't work, you'll probably have to fabricate some form of puller.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

The nut that is currently on there can be easily removed, but the wheel is still on the column, by some sort of interference fit.

I'll screw the nut back on, protecting the threads and try banging on the wheel a bit. I'll spray it down tonight and give it a go tomorrow and see if I can break it loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts