Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who has removed frame rails from a camaro or firebird tell me what is the best way to take them off without destroying the sheetmetal under them. My floors are still good but i need to replace the frame rails. Can i remove them without destroying the floor pan under them? I see harbour freight has a spot weld drill bit to remove spot welds? Does this actually work or is it a waste of time and money. Thanks to anyone that can give me some advice on this subject.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
You need to go to camaros.net for your Camaro specific questions. It is THE best site on the net for Camaros.

Basically you will be drilling out the spot welds with a spot weld drill. I recommend against most everything at Harbor Freight, ESPECIALLY something like a drill bit. Spend the money for a real tool from someone like Wivco or something like that. Autobodystore.com is a great source for REAL autobody tools. Honestly, Harbor Freight is largely junk and should be left for someone else to buy and hang in their garage. If you want real tools that get the job done go to where real bodymen would go to buy them.

Brian

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I have used the Blair brand of spot weld cutter with good results..use their bit wax for lube and run them at a slow speed to get good bit life.

Now if it was up to me to do that I would use my plasma cutter to remove the bulk of the offending item leaving only the attachment flange and then I may be able to get in there with an air chisel and break the spot welds, saving the spot weld cutter for those areas that I needed it..I take it the existing frame rails are toast anyway and no point to saving those..

Sam

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OneMoreTime said:
I have used the Blair brand of spot weld cutter with good results..use their bit wax for lube and run them at a slow speed to get good bit life.

Now if it was up to me to do that I would use my plasma cutter to remove the bulk of the offending item leaving only the attachment flange and then I may be able to get in there with an air chisel and break the spot welds, saving the spot weld cutter for those areas that I needed it..I take it the existing frame rails are toast anyway and no point to saving those..

Sam
Yes that sounds like a good idea the frame rails are garbage but the metal they are attached too still looks good. Maybe i will give that a shot cut out as much as possible of the old rail first. Thanks

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Being the rails are being replaced you don't even need a spot weld drill. Just drill thru the floor and frame rail on every weld. Put in your new rails and plug weld them back in from the top.

Brian

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MARTINSR said:
Being the rails are being replaced you don't even need a spot weld drill. Just drill thru the floor and frame rail on every weld. Put in your new rails and plug weld them back in from the top.

Brian
Thanks i will give that a shot i dont think i can see the welds on the floor side but sure i can drill from the bottom up through the floor i guess. Just want to do this without making more work by screwing the floor pan but that should work very well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've done the frame rails on a firstgen bird (69) , but i did the floors also. I would cut out what most of it , then drill out the spot welds. I wouldn't attempt the chisel method only as that will tear up the good metal and that you dont want to do. You may find a chisel is useful after all the spot welds are drilled out.

And the blair spot weld bit works great , I went through about 7 bits during my restore. But I did a lot of metal replacement!

The rails are actually very easy to do, the only hard part is where they weld to the tail panel. I'm assuming you do have the gas tank out?

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.