Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edelbrock RPM heads SBC

So I have my heads off but I can't seem to get the keepers to release. I have a lever type compressor and can push the spring in but even if I hold the valve in place it just wont release. I have given them a good tap with a socket on the spring retainer but they just don't want to release.
Recommendations? :smash: :spank: :boxing:

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Using a socket the same od as the spring and frammin' hell out of it with a rubber hammer has always worked for me. It even keeps the keepers retained inside the socket. Just make sure the valve is out over the edge of the work bench so it won't get bent.

I know there's somebody out there who will say it's improper procedure and I already know that, so keep it to yourself. I've had a bad day.

·
GM Tech
58 Posts
techinspector1 said:
Using a socket the same od as the spring and frammin' hell out of it with a rubber hammer has always worked for me. It even keeps the keepers retained inside the socket. Just make sure the valve is out over the edge of the work bench so it won't get bent.

I know there's somebody out there who will say it's improper procedure and I already know that, so keep it to yourself. I've had a bad day.
I do that all the time, I just put the head on a pair of 2x4 wooden blocks first. Protects the deck surface and keeps the valves off the bench.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I,ve got the same heads (60899) my valve spring comp. went south on me and a buddy said that Autozone will let you use theirs. I was doubtful but I went in and sure enough, it was a different type but it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
removing valve springs/keepers

do what technical inspector said, spary some wd40 on the keeper and hit the top of the valve stem with a dead blow hammer and then wack it with a socket. some times u can hit the socket real fast and get the spring bouncing and then give it a good whack! always worked for me.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Springs

Get one of your buddys to come over and help....Give him a soft hammer and while your compressing the spring have him hit the retainer.... It's a bit awkard until you do 2 or 3 but you will get the hang of it.... Thats the best way for a new guy to do it

Keith

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
k-star said:
Get one of your buddys to come over and help....Give him a soft hammer and while your compressing the spring have him hit the retainer.... It's a bit awkard until you do 2 or 3 but you will get the hang of it.... Thats the best way for a new guy to do it

Keith
this works, just watch out for flying retainer and spring if the compressor slips you don't want to get hit in the face :pain:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.