Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im painting the front bumper on my 79 trans am race car,its already sanded down and I will be using nason 2k primer, nason black base coat, nason clearcoat.My question is do I need a flex agent in any of these materials? If so what brand of flex, and will one product work for everything listed above? Ive never painted anythind this flexable before and dont want thoughs annoying spiderweb cracks later on done the road. Sorry for asking a question that has been beat to death but I searched and didnt find anything about nason products. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
This was a discussion awhile back about flex agents. A few used them, but believe most say they are a waste of money. Modern urethanes are fairly flexable as it is. I've never used a flex agent on urethane bumpers and haven't seen a problem not using flex agent. Even saw one that was totalled not too long after and the bumper was all a twisted mess, and the paint was pretty much in tack. Also used a cheap single stage urethane comparable to nason- omni ss urethane on one of my cars. I used that car to move my broken down old truck,and the chain tore the bumper. No paint missing or flaking off, just a nice clean tear. Most flex agents I believe will add very little flexability, think Barry K did a test. Many are used for installing parts and will eventually leave the paint. I've never had a problem installing a part without a flex agent either. Prefit, but I've done a little twisting installing without a problem. Most important on the urethane bumper is going to be good prep, make sure every square inch is sanded well. If a new bumper, clean well with soap and water and wipe down with wax and grease remover, before sanding and after. I normally spray an adhesion promotor on any bare urethane piece such as bulldog before painting. But I'll admit I've done some without using the adhesion promotor and didn't see a problem, but cheap insurance.
Now I kinda remember bad bob mentioning something about a flex agent in some seminar that added good flexability and didn't leave the paint if it was a certain type, but you don't know if its included or not. With what I've seen, I have no reason personally to want to spend money on a flex agent, but if you want to pay the added $$$, guess thats up to you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
"Impact Coating" was recommended for my 72 Firebird on the front bumper but when I recently painted my del sol, the guy at the paint store said not to worry about it. I haven't had any problems what so ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.