Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broken mounting tab on a grille, and I am looking for the best way to repair it. Does anyone know the type of plastic that would have been used, the best type of glue to use, or have experience with plastic welding so that they can advise? Thanks!

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Bugsy ]</p>

·
Registered
599 Posts
bugsy,

i don't know if you'll want to try this, but i used to have a motorcycle and one of the side panels had these plastic mounting pegs on it and one of them broke off. I tried several times to fix it but what fixed in the end was this: i just bought a 2-part epoxy-resin glue. I sanded the area and cleaned it good. Then i mixed up the glue and put that down, but i also layed duct tape over it and glued that as well. after it hardened it was great. It never broke off after that, the duct tape seemed to reinforce it really well. You may not want to do it this way, depending on how much room you have to make the repair, as well as how visible it is from outside the car.

JB

·
Registered
102 Posts
Iwould use a two part epoxy on the plastic part. I have used some plastic welders in the past and found them to be useless for the most part. In the Body Shop I work at we epoxy small broken parts with J B Weld two part epoxy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I needed some expert opinions on this, as I really want this car to turn out nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts