Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 Falcon. The hood hinges are attached to the inner fender panel with three captive nuts on each side. I have one missing and the hole is enlarged. I need some guidance on the repair and given the cars age, should I address all six nuts.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It's been some years since I've replaced those parts. The hardest part would be locating the hardware. I don't think captive nuts is the proper term. Nut retainers would probably be more appropriate.

I did a quick search om line and was able to come up with this site Retainers.

Try Parts Plus to locate. Personally I'd replace only the one that needed replacement. As I recall the weren't that difficult to replace.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like these nuts were inserted in the panel and crimped. The hole is circular with one flat side to prevent turning. I have one where the nut is gone and hole has rounded out.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I would make the hole larger, cut out another piece from same gage and weld it in to fill the hole. I then would determine the location of the new hole and drill slightly larger than the size bolt you are going to use. Then, I would weld a nut in the correct place to bolt the hinge onto. If the nut needs to be on the blind side, then weld it on before welding the filler in place.

Trees

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.