Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a drip rail from a camaro it has several scratches but is not dented or bent at all. I think it is aluminum or stainless can i sand the peice then polish it or will that just make it worse. I tried doing some research on it and it seems you can sand aluminum? Can anyone tell me what grit of sandpaper to start with? Thanks to anyone that may be familiar with doing this.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
i restore ss . i sand to 1000 wet then polish. you cant cut ss much by buffing . one important thing is to tape the piece to a buck so you dont bend it while buffing.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
i use a bench grinder style buffer and ss polish . eastwood is as good as anywhere to get it . just be careful. i wear welding gloves and safety glasses. ss trim is like a razor blade. i saw a guy loose a finger polishing trim. wheel caught it and cut right through his glove. that is why i have wooden bucks for all my trim work. dowel rod or 1x1 pine .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.