Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
you're killin me buck!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boss has a 63 four door impala sitting in a grass lot . he say's he wants to sell it.
i would like to make a sled out of it.
it needs a small hunk of frame replaced ( less than a foot) behind the curve over the rear axle.
i have done all kinds of welding, and the rest of the car is pretty straight.
my question is weather one can sucessfuly replace a section of frame, and the best way to go about it.
thanks
axle bastard

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Axle, not to difficult if you can weld, and...well.. you can so lets get to it.

Just try to finf the same size channel used on the frame cut off the exsisting sheeter peice weld the new peche on, grind down the wlds and box over the weld on both sides with some 3/8-1/2" steel and your good to go.

On a side note those quadra port '63's make cool low blow sleds. Add some 17" wheels and lower it and its totally beechin maaan. :cool:

HK

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Rather than channel iron I would look for some rectangular tubing, about the same weight as the frame. Comes in 0.065" (16 gauge), 0.095"(14 gauge), & 0.120"(11 gauge) wall in 2"x3" and 2"x4" sizes. Also can get it in 2"x5", 3"x4", 3"x5" & 3"x6" but 0.188" wall is the lightest weight in those larger sizes. I like the tubing rather that the channel because it has rounded corners of uniform thickness and is easier to massage to shape. It is desireable to keep the patch about the same thickness as the frame so there isn't too much of a stress riser at the joint. A real heavy plate attached to a relatively thin frame section will provide a place for a crack to start. Above all, cut the patch to overlap the stock frame and don't have any straight up and down or across joints. Make all sides of the patch with long spear shapes, again to minimize stress risers. If you do it like this, you won't need to fish plate the joints, thus keep the metal thickness down, reducing stress crack potential.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Incidentally, I learned to drive in a metallic sky blue, '63 Impala SS 2dr hardtop w/ 327, PowerGlide, engine-turned dash, bucket seats and console shift!

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
From the area you are talking about, a hunk of rectanglar stock or even a chunk of a "donor" would suffice. It isn't that big of a deal. The 63/63 seem to be coming into it in this area. I see a lot on the road. there was a sled wagon w/ 17" Budnicks at the last cruise in I went to and it was sharp! :cool:

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,126 Posts
the part of the frame you're talking about isn't going to carry much wieght it really doesnt matter what you do. if you cut it in the middle then you'ld want to do it right: a z cut and fish plate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts