Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a 68 Firebird for dirt cheap but it NEEDS rear 1/4's among other things. I have done some bodywork in the past and I own a Mig welder and know how to weld fairly well.

Is panel replacment something that one should attempt if they have no experience or should I just find another car that is not cancered out?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
1/4 panels are pretty simple to put on. Its alot of work and you may need a set of exstra hands to help out with alighning, but its nothing that is to incredibly hard. Most anyone with minimal panel repair exsperience can do it, just go slow, measure carefully and alighn those boylines! If you need more help feel free to ask, happy to help.

HK

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Before you get started on a project like this, check your inner fenders, inside trunk, anywhere those panels connect to the original body. If there is a lot of rust or damage there be prepared for a lot more work. Dan

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips Guys.

The rest of the car has minimal rust but you never know what I might find when I cut the 1/4's off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just some humble suggestions.
First, do not cut anything out until you get the replacement panel in your hands...no matter what!(I have some stories for this).
Next, align the doors and trunk lid because these will become your points of reference when that replacement panel doesn't fit right.
Try to get the full factory replacement panel...not the skin. You can cut out the majority of the quarter with a cutoff or sawzall but I highly recommended drilling out the factory spot welds to remove the old quarter. Then use the same technique to put it back on(except for the A piller). I'm on my third quarter so, no you don't need much experience, Just patience. My first quarter was a '67 Mustang coupe and it came out absolutely perfect.
Hope it helps.

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the excellent information. Cutting it off and then not finding a replacement would suck about as much as still being married to my 1St. wife.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's not so much finding a replacement as it is thinking the quarter covered a larger area in the pictures you see before you buy it...Yikes!
I'm putting on the passenger side quarter on the '55 chev tomorrow, wish me luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts