Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a set of 1936 Pontiac gauges I'm looking to use in my truck build.

I have the gauges apart, and the internals seem pretty simple, but I can't find any info relating to testing / fixing gauges.

Is this the type of thing that should be sent out for possible repair, or does someone know of a obscure book / website I can check out.

Thanks,

-A

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
I believe one such company is called U. S. Gauges. I think the cost driver is in the artwork. For more common vehicles, I'd guess more like $1000 - $1200. I checked with them about 15 years ago on the gauges for my 37 Chevy pickup, they said about $650 at the time.

PatM

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excuse the noob question, but are mechanical gauges really that hard to fix on your own?

I can certainly understand having some trouble with a speedometer, but the gas, oil and temp gauges seem to be fairly straight forward.

-A

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
Their was a guy building custom gauge faces for modern cars (namely his miata) over on revlimiter.net. Using some careful planning and relatively basic photoshop skills he was able to make new faces using two pieces of transparency film with a piece of paper with the new gauge faces sandwiched between. Because I assume your gauges aren't back-lit, it might be a little easier.

His tutorial is down now (his intellectual property was being stolen and used to make cheap aftermarket gauges apparently) but I'm sure hunting down a similar looking font and printing some new gauge prints out on a quality medium, you should be able to replicate the look somewhat.

As far as rebuilding them, someone had to learn somewhere. Maybe look for a book on Amazon or (my usual decision) just dive right in and see what you can learn first hand?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Don't forget that Classic Instruments can help too-

Welcome to Classic Instruments
i recently purcheced my guages frem classic inst, $799 for 53 chevy pu they have volt meter not amp ,suposeably fire hazard ,these are Very nice and work great mine are all electronic,also come with wiring senders and sensors ,they have a list for many cars yours might be one ,also speedometer is adjustagle for different tire size and gear ratio .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In case this info will help anyone else, I was able to find a couple old gauge service manuals on "http://www.imperialclub.com" (great site btw).

The site has individual pages for these manuals scanned in, so I downloaded and compiled them into standalone PDFs for ease of use.

Gauges-Service_Reference_Book.pdf
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1552739_63296114_66762

Thermal-Electric Gauges.pdf
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1552739_63296114_66764

I'm going to try and post other info I find on gauge restoration as well, since the info seems to be so limited.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
newer internals ?

Factory Five Racing has instructions in ther build manual on how to dissamble the donor car Mustang gages and mount them in the "Cobra" dash panel and using radio Shack led's for lights.. I swapped in a 60's ford truck gages in my Willys in the 70's. When I worked in a GM dealership the service manager used to solder wires on the printed circuit board for repairs. I have been thinking about using the GM gages and putting them in the T bucket project, GM V6 5 speed donor car parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.