Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aftermarket speed sensors that plug into a C4/C6 auto trans (push in type) appear to be pretty much the same for all Ford automatics. Could I expect that if I take a electronic gauge/sensor out of a newer vehicle I could hook it up to my 1978 C4 trans? I expect there would be some recalibration issues but I could address that later, for now I just would like to know if the sensor would fit. Anyone? Thanks.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,781 Posts
Most likely not. Most late model vehicles have the speedo going through the engine control computer, and the other gauges. If it is a totally stand alone electronic gauge cluster it should work though. Maybe some of the early units (mid 80s) were stand alone, but they didn't always work so good, especially 10-15 years old! Most gauge makers make electronic speedos if you want to customize your dash, and a couple will even rebuild an original cluster with new electronic guts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I guess I have some wiring diagrams to look over in light of this new info, I assumed that all wiring ran from the sensor to the back of speedo. Do YOU think that a newer
type sensor will fit the case though?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts