Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever cobble together an electric starter for pull-start snowmobile?

Yes, I realize this is not exactly a hot rod question...but I'm getting too old (or at least my right arm is) to jerk this thing every time I want to start it.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I would guess it's very possible.. many snowmobiles sold today have electric start and even reverse start ( engine runs backwards for reverse ).. most of the 2 stroke engines really havn't changed with the exception of starting and in most cases there most all liquid cooled now. I'm sure the retrofit is possible with parts for a newer sled

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I would start by finding out just what kind of motor that is in that mobile as a lot of the motors did not change that much and it may be possible to just order parts from the electric start version and install them..probably require a flywheel change and the bracket for the starter and of course the starter assenbly as well..

Sam

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
With all that money you saved by building your last 2 cars yourself, I think you should treat yourself to a new sled. and you can tell your wife I say so! Get you one of them 100 mph out of the box sleds, you'll get across the lake faster. :D

BTW, where is your car with the new interior? I dang near forgot!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dinger said:
With all that money you saved by building your last 2 cars yourself, I think you should treat yourself to a new sled.
Unfortunately, I've already spent all that saved money...at least two or three times over. :D

Regarding the interior, I'm plugging away and have some progress reports in my
journal. At the moment I am a bit bogged down trying to get some decorative aluminum inserts for the flat panels (like the one below) all buffed and polished up real pretty. I made these from some old sheet aluminum a friend had stashed in his garage for many years...and it was very badly scratched and dinged, so I've gotten sidetracked trying to perfect my polishing techniques.

Also, the upholstery learning curve is VERY steep. Much to learn as I move through each step.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
cboy said:
Anybody ever cobble together an electric starter for pull-start snowmobile?

Yes, I realize this is not exactly a hot rod question...but I'm getting too old (or at least my right arm is) to jerk this thing every time I want to start it.
Depending on the engine, you may be able to buy a bolt-on electric starter. I know that Northern Tool sells electric starter kits for Techumsa engines:

I'm sure they are available for other engines as well. Note that these are 120V AC starters. The intent is that you start the snowblower in the garage.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
joe_padavano said:
Note that these are 120V AC starters.
That puts a crimp in its usefulness for snowmobiling BUT I might try to get more detail on their setup...just to see the gearing and how they engage the flywheel etc. I might be able to figure something out based on how they do it with 110.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
cboy said:
That puts a crimp in its usefulness for snowmobiling BUT I might try to get more detail on their setup...just to see the gearing and how they engage the flywheel etc. I might be able to figure something out based on how they do it with 110.
Sorry, I misread your title. Thought is said "snowblower". :embarrass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.