Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 1964 chevy bel air sedan hard top and i want to make a reverse 4 link for it but im not quite sure how to do it and i was wondering if i could get some help and if you can explain to me what the best way to do it would be? Or does anyone know ny good websites that have pictures of good description on how to make a reverse 4 link?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
I agree -- don't go with a reverse design unless you absolutely have to for clearance reasons, then know how it's going to affect driving qualities. The reversed arms can lift the rear end when braking hard as well as "unplant" the tires as Air Ride put it. So it can increase front end dive (by lifting the rear). There should be plenty room under your car. If it's mostly a show car (trailer/garage queen) then you can probably live with it easy enough.

The only cars ever made with "leading arm" suspension that I know of are small French cars, like the 2CV. That's a TWO CYLINDER car with "reversed" (leading) arms on the front, trailing arms on the back. When you load it up the wheelbase grows about an inch! I don't think it will run over 40 mph either. If you keep your speed down, you'll probably never notice any adverse affects... :mwink:

·
Registered
42 Posts

this is my baby a 2000 s10 daily drivin with air bags. reverse 4 link is done with over 15000 miles on it

this is my buddys truck we did the same reverse 4 link but usees the rear mounting crossmember as an air tank. holds about 6 gallons of air
all 4 link parts are from www.suicidedoors.com
reverse 4 links are debatable my reasons for them are for space and not wanting to move the gastank to the bed of the truck or getting a fuel cell. i found that if your not puttin 400 plus horsepower to them or not doing continous burnouts or power sliding around every turn than it is an acceptable method of suspension
however i`m sure the next guy will tell you the total oposite.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
I agree -- don't go with a reverse design unless you absolutely have to for clearance reasons, then know how it's going to affect driving qualities. The reversed arms can lift the rear end when braking hard as well as "unplant" the tires as Air Ride put it. So it can increase front end dive (by lifting the rear). There should be plenty room under your car. If it's mostly a show car (trailer/garage queen) then you can probably live with it easy enough.

In all my years of race car driving I have to disagree with the braking forces causing the axle to lift. If the nose drops under decelleration the rear could lift with soft shocks and short bar lenght to induce enough bar angle. But with 20" bars, I've never seen it happen.

Brakes alone forces don't affect the rear axle rotion unless the rotor is attached to the chassis on a lever system. Racers call that floated brakes. Engine braking alone, will affect the rear axle though. If the bars are kept at 20" the affect's are diminished to almost non. Brakes should be setup so the front will lock just before the rear because it's the easiest thing to feel through the wheel and correct for.

You might here a term called "trail braking" in racing sometimes. That's means applying the brake to eliminate the engine braking affect's for better turn in. Very easy to do, very hard to master, Amazing when it's done right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 link question

Thanks guys for the information about the reverse four link but what do you guys recommend the best 4 link to put on a 1964 Chevy bel air would be? Would you guys just recommend a normal four link or what? Well would someone be able to send me pictures of explain what the best four link would be for my car i would really appriciate that . Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
That car has a descent 3 link set up onder it now with good geometry........ why do you want to get rid of it and go to something worse. Not only the bad geometry do you get by going to a reverse that but now your drive shaft and your axle is working in two converging arcs... :nono:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
??

Ya i think im gonna go with a normal four link or a 3 link but i dont know what ones better. Does anyone have any ideas for me and would you guys be able to help me with a good setup and tell me how to do it and explain what would be better please. Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
your car is currently ( or was atleast ) equipped with 2 lower locating bars and a single upper bar along with a panhard bar. If you want to turn it technically into a four bar, you can order a replacement upper bar along with new mounts and stage it on the other side of the rear end.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
There is no reason why you could not bag and drop your car with what is already there.

The frame under that car is essentially the same one used from 1958
(58 did actually have a 4 link)
LevelAir was available in 58-59 so on these cars bags s/b very simple.
Air Ride Technologies has lower arms made specifically for bags and also has bags that will bolt onto the existing arms.

The only thing extra you may need to get would be an adjustable upper arm (for pinion angle adjustment) approx $150. and an adjustable panhard rod (to center the rear end under the car after dropping or raising) approx $100.
these are available at various suppliers

I personally don't see a need for trying to engineer something that is already there.

But---I don't know what your intended use is for the car is either.

Bryan------still on coils

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.