Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 66 Thunderbird,
(We call it the Thunderchicken , poor thing needs everything)
The first problem is that it has no keys.
If I removed the trunk and ignition lock assemblys
would a locksmith be able to cut a fresh set of key's ?

Thanks

CJH

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
its doable, but might be cheaper to just buy an all new lock set

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
there is likely an id number on the lock that they could use to make new keys or you could order one with. Or you could just get a new lock set like roller suggested. Heck, if the tumblers in the lock are worn out, maybe you would be able to find another ford key around that will operate it, lol. Many years ago I lost the keys for my cutlass, and had a locksmith come out and make new keys, Wasn't too cheap for a young kid. Think it was $75 way back then. If I'd known better, I would have got new locks or took out the lock cylinders and went somewhere and had them cut new keys.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Without a key it is very hard to remove the tumbler.
Take the switch to get the ignition key and then take the glove box lock for the trunk and doors. There are codes that they use to punch another key. I am not sure of the cost but I wouldn't think it would be very much if you took the loks to them.

Scholman

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Not sure on the fords

But on GM---the glovebox is not a suitable lock to make a key from----has fewer tumblers in it.

A 'good' locksmith will be able to make keys w/o even taking the locks out.
all that is needed is a key blank and a file.

If the doors and ignition are the same---(they are on my 94 Thunderchicken)
Take a door lock cylinder, instead of the ignition switch.

The ignition switch wants a key to remove the lock cylinder. The door cylinders are easier to work with when no key is available. The trunk lock will have all the same cuts as the glove box---Plus one or two more.

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure about 66 being a dual key system ( i can check monday when i get to work) but the rh door lock cylinder used to have the code stamped in it for the doors and trunk (fb and 4 digits), get a cylinder for the ignition lock and drill it out and replace it you won't be able to remove it w/o a key and yes a locksmith will be able to make a key for the doors its only a 5 cut key. the glove box used to only have 3 of the 5 pins in it so that ain't going to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
Not sure on the fords

If the doors and ignition are the same---(they are on my 94 Thunderchicken)
Take a door lock cylinder, instead of the ignition switch.

Bryan
the key on a 1994 is a 10 cut key, 6 cuts fit the doors 5 cuts fit the ignition (could be vise-versa) with one cut overlapping so you can't do it that way on your t-bird sorry

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
rustybronco said:
I'm not sure about 66 being a dual key system ( i can check monday when i get to work) but the rh door lock cylinder used to have the code stamped in it for the doors and trunk (fb and 4 digits), get a cylinder for the ignition lock and drill it out and replace it you won't be able to remove it w/o a key and yes a locksmith will be able to make a key for the doors its only a 5 cut key. the glove box used to only have 3 of the 5 pins in it so that ain't going to work.
my '67 Falcon has the square/ octagon ignition key, also operating the door locks, the trunk is the only thing that uses the round trunk key, for what it's worth. I have an original set of keys for it and there is the code # stamped on the keys themselves.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
rustybronco said:
the key on a 1994 is a 10 cut key, 6 cuts fit the doors 5 cuts fit the ignition (could be vise-versa) with one cut overlapping so you can't do it that way on your t-bird sorry
Ya know---I never noticed how many cuts were on these----lot of cuts.

But----thinking the security of the 60's was not as intense----would it not be feasable for him to use a door lock to get an ignition made??
only about 5-6 cuts on those keys.
I remember a friend making a key on an 84-5 LTD---from the door, and it worked in the ignition.

He used a file, blank key, and never removed the lock----took 10 min.
He also showed me why the GM locks are impossible to pick.

Bryan

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
I can't add anymore on the keys for your 66 Bird but I have a little trivia for your later Fords.

You know the double sided Ford keys? Well, the locks don't have double sided tumblers. The key is simply double sided for conveniance, you can put the key in the lock either way and it works.

Well, check this out. I have two Fords, a 95 SHO and a 96 Windstar. I had the gal at the local hardware store cut me one key for both cars! Yep, one on one side and the other on the other side. It wasn't easy as she was putting up a fight "You CAN'T DO THAT". :nono: I told her just do it, write no guarantee on the receit I don't care. She did it, and I use it every day.

And by the way, on sixties GM cars there were only a small amount of different keys. I got a 62 Chevy once without any keys. Went into the garage got my GM key ring with spares and on the third key opened the trunk. :p

Brian

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
MARTINSR said:
And by the way, on sixties GM cars there were only a small amount of different keys. I got a 62 Chevy once without any keys. Went into the garage got my GM key ring with spares and on the third key opened the trunk. :p

Brian
I think about 250 combinations---maybe less
There is also a specific pattern used in the coding, to prevent excessive wear of the tumblers. No key should have a #1 tumbler next to a #5. The tumbler at the end of the key that is first inserted into the lock is 1,2, or 3. Never a 4 or 5. They also are not supposed to have more than 2 steps between tumblers.
a 24313 is okay
a 14514 is not okay

Bryan

Wish I could do that double cut on my Birds----94-97---Different key blanks
I',m gonna try my 97 bird to my 05 Ranger---those keys look to use the same blank.

I had all my GM keyed alike when I was in Utah----88 Bonny,78 Chev K-10, 79 Chev C-10

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
But----thinking the security of the 60's was not as intense----would it not be feasable for him to use a door lock to get an ignition made??
only about 5-6 cuts on those keys.
Bryan
bryan 5 cuts.
I'm at work now, a 1966 t-bird is a dual key system so the door AND ignition use the same key, if you can't find a FB number on the cylinder you can take the cover over the 5 pins off by prying it up with a pocket knife, then take the springs and PINS(two) out for each hole keep them in order! then you can make your key by filing it. or pm me and i'll do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
I think about 250 combinations---maybe less
There is also a specific pattern used in the coding, to prevent excessive wear of the tumblers. No key should have a #1 tumbler next to a #5. The tumbler at the end of the key that is first inserted into the lock is 1,2, or 3. Never a 4 or 5. They also are not supposed to have more than 2 steps between tumblers.
a 24313 is okay
a 14514 is not okay

Bryan

Wish I could do that double cut on my Birds----94-97---Different key blanks
I',m gonna try my 97 bird to my 05 Ranger---those keys look to use the same blank.

I had all my GM keyed alike when I was in Utah----88 Bonny,78 Chev K-10, 79 Chev C-10
1997 t-bird and 05 ranger are both 8 cut key's and take the same blank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MARTINSR said:
You know the double sided Ford keys? Well, the locks don't have double sided tumblers. The key is simply double sided for conveniance, you can put the key in the lock either way and it works.

Well, check this out. I have two Fords, a 95 SHO and a 96 Windstar. I had the gal at the local hardware store cut me one key for both cars! Yep, one on one side and the other on the other side. It wasn't easy as she was putting up a fight "You CAN'T DO THAT". :nono: I told her just do it, write no guarantee on the receit I don't care. She did it, and I use it every day.

Brian
done it a few times myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts