Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy a 1/2" NPT 90 deg El for a 5/8" heater hose? I have the 350 RamJet and the manifold has the heater hose outlet facing the front. It can't be used with the factory serpentine belt mounting system unless a 90 deg el is used. I'm on my 2nd from S&P, but they are toys for show cars made from alum and pressed together and leak. I am getting sick installing these. I know the S&P unit can be tig'd together, but I'd need to find someone that would do this small job. I rather buy a solid unit. Thanks for any help.

Ronster

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh...

Somebody slap me with a brick or something. Never really occurred to me to look at the hardware store. After all, it is a npt fitting. I've been to 3 or 4 auto parts stores and they ask me what engine ....... and you know the rest. Thanks. I'll see what I can find.

Ronster2

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
When you need brass or valving or hardware for heat/cooling system and encounter a counter deadhead, just ask for the cooling system catalog, the Weatherhead or whatever brand of brass they carry catalog, and find the stuff yourself.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
This same question appeared here about 10 days ago. I am not sure the outcome.

Remember the dissimilar metal reaction with the aluminum manifold. You need some sacrificial anode in the cooling system.

The Ford one piece 90* will be the shortest you will find and will probably look better than hardware store NPT stuff.

It is available aftermarket, I will see if I can find it and post here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RE: fitting

If ya want aluminum ya might try Wicks Aircraft Supply I beleive they have a on line catalog. Look in the AN fitting section or give them a call.1-800-221-9425 the fitting is AN842-10D 1/2" pipe 5/8 hose 90deg. They are anodized blue but can be polished to a chrome appearance. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found solution

I went to the hardware store and bought a brass "90 deg street el". On the way home, I'm thinking this is not going to look favorable, but I think I can make it work even with the dissimular metals. I then saw another auto parts store I haven't tried yet. I went in and counter guy was a real middle-aged guy that actually understood my problem. He went to the back and came back with a Gate's Unicoil for a 5/8" hose. This coil will allows you to bend a straight hose without knotting. I bought a straight 1/2" npt nipple for a 5/8" hose and it worked like a charm. It doesn't look "rigged" either. Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe my fix will help some of you guys sometime.

Ronster2

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Stickshift
Ronster

Sometimes we overlook the simplest things. I never thought of a "spring" inside a heater hose nor the AN fitting.

Actually I did not know that Gates makes a specific coil for a heater hose. I will be using your ideas. :D

Thank you for the information. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xntrik said:
Stickshift
Ronster

Sometimes we overlook the simplest things. I never thought of a "spring" inside a heater hose nor the AN fitting.

Actually I did not know that Gates makes a specific coil for a heater hose. I will be using your ideas. :D

Thank you for the information. :thumbup:
Stickshift, the coil slips over the outside of the hose. Compressed, it is about 3" long, but it has a small strap tacked to each round of the coil in order to prevent it from crawling once bent. I placed it up close to the clamp and bent it as needed. They don't recommend greater than 90 degree bends using just one. If you need to loop it 180, then use 2.

Ronster2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.