Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I live way out in the country and love to ride my Superglide on the lonely country roads. There I was doin 70 on a beautiful day, enjoying my ride and some ******* pulls out in front of me. I lay on the * horn and slow way down and he keeps coming. (Harley horns are crap) . I scream * YOU! at the SOB. The following day, I am passing the same area when ANOTHER jerk, pulls out in front of me. I lay on the horn and yell, * YOU again. 10 minutes later ANOTHER GUY pulls out in front of me in his "hot-rod" Honda. I give him the middle finger salute and lay on my horn. I later pass him in town and he's 10 and 2 looking straight ahead. It would have been nice if he has just said, "sorry".

These most recent incidents bespeak of a lager problem; People not paying attention while driving!!!!!! They just glance before pulling out into traffic but you need to LOOK and LOOK AGAIN to make sure that you DON'T KILL SOMEONE.

Long ago my father gave me the best advice about driving that I have ever gotten. He said these simple four words; "Leave room for error". In this day and age of cell phones and rush rush rush, the road are more dangerous than ever. Nobody is leaving room for error.....

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Some of these people can not see your truck coming down the road and will pull right out in front of 80,000 pounds hurtling down the road towards them apparently without a thought of what will happen to them if the driver is not paying attention. I had a motorcycle pull out in front of my dump truck and if his engine would have missed I would have run right over him with 50,000 pounds of truck and load. It was that close, there was no way I could have avoided him. I don't know if he was scared but he sure scared the heck out of me. If they can not see a truck they are certainly not going to see your motorcycle.

It used to really get my ire up until I finally realized that it is no use to argue with an idiot.

I'm convinced that about 60 percent of the drivers on the road should never be behind the wheel of anything.

Keep your eyes on the other guy on the road, you will live longer.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Drive defensively.

Two words that are never heard in driver's ed anymore. My driving teacher, (the official one :thumbup: ), used to say "you are driving for two. You and the other guy, never count on ANYONE to do the right thing."

When ever I see someone ready to pull out, I look for my "out", and get ready to take it.

Later, mikey

·
Registered
285 Posts
When ever I see someone ready to pull out, I look for my "out", and get ready to take it.
LOL! I can see these idiots coming from 1/4 mile away. Just recently I've had a rash of idiots pulling out in front of me. If Harley Davidson cared about their customers, they'd put louder horns on their bikes.

If they can not see a truck they are certainly not going to see your motorcycle. .....It used to really get my ire up until I finally realized that it is no use to argue with an idiot.
Ya know, I was just thinking about this very issue. How do these idiots stay alive on the road? I'm hoping that you truckers take some of them out before they kill me. But I know what the problem is. People are antsy and will risk dying to save themselves three seconds of driving time. The other problem, and perhaps to a greater extent, is that they just glance before pulling out. They don't "LOOK". I've watched them as I'm riding down the road. They turn their heads so quickly sideways and back that I KNOW that they didn't see me. It's at that time that I start honking and slowing. Some of these * just keep coming.

So please do us all a big favor and the next time one of these idiots pulls out in front of your truck, hit the gas, not the brakes.
:drunk: :evil:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just a thought. You can't hear a truck horn in a car with the windows rolled up and the cd player going. Why? Because everyone wants that smooth quiet ride. When your on the road, you are driving for everyone for two blocks around you. At 60mph it only takes about 6 seconds to cover two blocks.So after you look both ways and recheck the close laneand start rollin, the dork that was two blocks away when you started is going to be parked in your door. Do people pay attention to what is going on around them. NO because what we are going to do is so much more important than what we are doing now even though the former involves spending a hundred at wallyworld and the latter involves taking yours and someone elses life in your hands. I'll quit now :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Rule number one for motorcyclist: Drivers that have never ridden a motorcycle do not see motorcycles. They look, but their brain is focused on 4 wheelers or bigger and they will pull out in front of you or in to you and truthfully say "I did not see you". You can yell, salute and blow all you want, but the non biker just wonders why your shorts are in such a wad.

Trees

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
I find that most drivers dont look far enough ahead. I dont know how many times, when riding with someone else, they dont seem to see something until they are right on top of it........I have seen it for the last 1/2 mile or so, and have had my left froot buried in a pretend brake pedal....
All they can say is...."Where the heck did that come from?"

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
trees said:
Drivers that have never ridden a motorcycle do not see motorcycles.
Ain't that the truth:( About 25 years ago I had an old lady pull out in front of me. I know that my presence did NOT register because after I made eye contact with her she pulled right out in front of me anyway.
( I was always told to try to make eye contact so you would know that they saw you. In this case it obviously did not work.)
I rode up on a sidewalk to keep from hitting her.
I seriously thought about catching up to her and giving that delta 88 a big boot print on the side when I realized......She had no idea she did anything wrong. She would think I'd be the bad guy who just kicked her car for no reason.

Drive defensively and know that you won in spite of them when you don't get hit.

Later, mikey

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
That looked very painful. Good commercial though.
Lots of times when you hit an object you go over it, so not only do you get to hit your body on parts of your bike and object, but then you get hit by the street and adjacent structures and objects as they rushes up to meet you. :pain:

The car driver looked a little bit like John Kerry.

Later
Mikey

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Two good points, people that have never driven motorcycles don't seperate them from cars or possibly think you can magically swerve around them. Drive defensively. A friend of mine used to carry a piece of pipe on his bike, he used it to "wake people up." He'd tap your car with it, the more p.o.ed he was, the harder the tap. Highway Patrol took it away one day with a warning..lol. Dan

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In about 1985 I was stationed at El Toro, CA.A couple of Marines got killed riding bikes so the C.O. had a mandatory meeting for all the guys that rode bikes.
He had a CHP bike officer come and talk to us.One story that I remember him telling was this.He was riding down the freeway on his partol bike,he was beside an older lady.She looked at him and smiled,put on her turn signal and preceded to run him off in the other lane.He pulled her over and ask,"Miss,I know you saw me,What were you thinking?"Her reply,"Well you were on a motorcycle I thought you would get out of my way".
He told other stories of almost being run off the road while on his patrol bike and said,if people don,t respect him on his patrol bike they probably are not going to respect or notice you on your bike.
He gave the same advice as most here,Just plan on the fact people are going to pull out in front of you and ride defensively.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts