Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm putting a small block chevy in a 59' jag MKIX saloon and would like to convert it from a left hand worm gear box, to a rear steer right hand power rack and pinon (1st choice)or a suitable adaptable power box. of course with $50 worth of parts. Any pos. input of part sources or input appricated...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Just some things to think about...
Is the car currently rear steer? If not it will be nearly impossible to put a "rear steer" rack on front steer spindles.
If you find a rack, is it designed to work with all of the suspension points and geometry that exists in the Jag suspension? If not it will not improve anything. You will end up with terrible bump steer and an Ackerman angle that is way off...
Turning radius is also something to think about. If the rack is to short or to long it will cause problems.
Without knowing your suspension geometry and being able to obtain a rack that is optimized to work in that environment this swap is really not a good idea... There is a lot of design and fabrication involved here and if you can't do it correctly you will have very unsafe car...
This is just my experience and opinion though so call me stupid if you want to...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the car right hand drive?

In order to make a right hand drive, rear steer rack and pinion work without actually having one, you'd need to use a front steer rack backwards and in the rear steer position.

Obviously a front steer rack mounted as rear steer will turn the wheels left when you turn the steering wheel right. Sounds like a project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts