Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im probably going to change the rearend gears in my nova from 3.73 to 4.10's. Its a GM 10 bolt posi in a 70 nova ss. Anyway how much does something like this cost and is it something I can do myself. Ive built engines and am fairly competant in my mechanical ability but I've heard horror storries about people who thought they could set up their own rear ends.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,817 Posts
It can be done by the average gearhead. You must be very diligent, no room for error or bad things will result. It shouldn't be dounting but take your time and it will come together properly. expect to pay $500 before it's all said and done.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you need any special tools or can you do it with your average tools. Also how can you be sure that you get the axel back in the exact same place when it goes back in.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
You will need a dial indicator/stand or at the very least a dial vernier and a flat piece of stock to measure the pinion depth. You will also need an assortment of pinion shims and a side shim kit. An inch lb. torque wrench along with a ft lb. Some white grease or marking compound for tooth pattern checks. A new pinion seal and crush sleeve. A good press for the pinion bearing.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is were the problem comes out. I have most of that stuff except a press and i do have a dial indicator but it is for degreeing in a camshaft. Don't know if this will work. Would a competent repair shop be able to set this up?

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If you do not have easy access to a press, it can be a pain. Every time you check pinion depth to establish an acceptable gear contact pattern, if it is not correct you need to press the pinion bearing off, change the shim, press it back on. There are tools that can give you the proper shim thickness, but they are not typically available to the do it yourselfer.

Vince

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
Most of the tools you need can be had at an autozone for rent. FREE...with deposite

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With this info I will probably take it some where to have it set up. Any recomendations. Also how do you go about getting the axel back in exactly where it came from because i would assume you can't even be slightly off.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood but what I am asking is how do you get the axle housing bolted back up to the leaf spring in the exact same spot mabey you got there or not I wasn't very clear.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey don't worry about it. Any way is the proper pinion angle reletive to the drive shaft -5*. I thought this was right because the whole housing tilts up under load and acceleration. I have traction bars that ride on the leafs will this effect the angle because the housing won't want to tilt as much or is this a nonfactor.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
either way no big deal right now. thanks for the help. do you think that a transmission shop would be a good place to have a rear end set up. or do you have any better places to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts