Hot Rod Forum banner
241 - 260 of 356 Posts

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Is it the place with some sort of military installation? I believe Grandpa trained there and liked the area.
You may have thought the wrong coast but there is a Big ol Military base right next to Tacoma named Fort Lewis back in the early years then they renamed Fort Lewis. Now they combined the airforce and army base to one big monster base called Joint Base Lewis Mcchord. We have a couple of navy bases too. We have the Bangor Nuclear Sub Base not far from Bremerton Worshington, they also have a big ship repair base in Bremerton. We also have a Naval air base at Whidbey Island up in the northern part of Puget Sound also a Navy Destroyer base near Everett Worshington. Yeah you cant swing a dead cat around here without hitting some sort of military installation.:cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
That's OK we know and understand you?:cool:
Such peaceful, lovely sentiment.:):D

Yeah they have the coasts covered, land borders seem more problematic. Too many Aberdeen places to count. :rolleyes: Climate probably isn't as good at the one I thought of. Dad speaks of Manhattan sometimes and I have to remember he means Kansas. The way my mind works is like a PC with plenty of fragmented ROM but no RAM.:embarrass In other words, its there but takes awhile.;)

Now if I can tighten the vise clamp on your noggin a little...

You know the easiest way to move the rod is with it all together.:mwink: Hut hut...:evil:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
How are you at packing and moving?:evil:

Hey now....car stuff only if you wanna still be buds....ha....

I tell my friends, don't ask me to help and I won't ask you. Now I don't even move myself. There is no money better spent than hiring movers.

Reactions: Rip VW

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Good luck with your plans Rip. My Early years with the telephone co. convinced me I would never build a house. I just don't have the temproment to do it. I wish you well and hope you remain one of us here while work progresses.

We enjoyed Pugsy's build. We will gladly follow along with yours. :)

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Good luck with your plans Rip. My Early years with the telephone co. convinced me I would never build a house. I just don't have the temproment to do it. I wish you well and hope you remain one of us here while work progresses.

We enjoyed Pugsy's build. We will gladly follow along with yours. :)

John

Yes, of course we will. Misery loves company so I'm all in for the updates. :thumbup:

·
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
You guys are great.. Glad to have ya all on my side!!

Well today begins the Hurry up and wait segment. I have been waiting for the Escrow Company to move forward and get through this phase. so I can start getting bids on clearing and foundation work. I also have to send in my site plan for clearing before the rest starts

Someone gave me a warning about the coast! They said "Everyone out near the coast is on Beach time. That means up by noon and closed by 5. I had noticed this phenomena many times as I traveled up and down the coast. Late to rize, late to open stores and roll the sidewalks up by six. I might get real used to that time.. I am tired of running full steam from morning to night. So onward to endevour to persevere! :cool:

·
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Well I thought I would give a christmas update. Things are moving and I am starting to feel the pinch to get this place ready to sell. I am finally all done with the real estate and escrow people, and now have the title free and clear on my new property! I have been trying to get the bids done on all the the stuff that needs to be done at the new place to get ready for the home push. I did hear from a contractor yesterday and he had a preliminary bid wich was right where I was hoping to be on those costs. the other positive part is he has worked with my builder and he also knows my banker. Ahhhh fodder for a conspiracy theory story.

I have a RE agent primed and chomping at the bit to sell sell sell my current place. I need to finish some deferred maintenance items and move the shop and 1/2 of the house by the 15th of January. Oh I also have to find another place to live till my new place is ready.. My God I can't believe the rental costs gone through the roof.

So far I have remained mostly calm during this process but this is not going to stress me out. I am keeping in control of the whole process and not letting any funny business done. After all My daughter is now a CPA with H&R Block.

Nothing has happened on the T. I need to start putting parts away and packed.
I have been concentrating on my back rehab and I am pleased with the recovery so far. I am back to the point I was before this back thing got me. I can almost walk a 1/2 city block. Although I am done for. Therapist is good and I actually lost a couple of pounds..

I thought I would add a couple pictures of the new digs. Just a couple of pics of the brush that will be removed and one picture from the view point at the bay side of the property..

The long strange trip has begun. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice location RVW and thanks for the update.
My we here at home wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a happy hot rodding new year.
My your building journey go smoothly and remain uneventful.

Russ.

·
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
A very merry Christmas to you and yours Russ. I wish everyone a very merry christmas and a happy and prosperous new year..

Best Wishes All..:cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Its real good to hear that you're bouncing back OK and keeping your nose to the therapy grindstone, Rip. The move? Well... applause! I just don't know how you do it. Heres hoping for as few glitches n that as possible. May interim housing somehow turn out to be a less than gigantic challenge. We're here when you need an ear. Meanwhile, enjoy Christmas time. The T will wait, but you may have to promise it a treat for later. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Rip, good to hear that the PT is working for you. Keep up the good work on that front. Your new property has a great view. I hope the new place has plans for some large windows in that direction to capture them on a regular basis!

Merry Christmas to you and yours from me and mine! :thumbup:
Dave

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Ditto to all the above Rip. Your bucketis certainly going to be full for a while.

Merry Christmas and may the new year bring peace and tranquility.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Things are really moving now.
Will you rent close to the new house?
Easy to watch the construction this way.

Anyhow, don't stress about it, it will be done eventually.
Have a great Christmas and same to all of those following this thread.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,421 Posts
Yep, I know the feeling of everything you are going through with the house, I can't believe how easy it's been just taking one step at a time. And plans changing, I can't believe how easy this has been. I am selling things and throwing away things I never thought I would. I am thinning out my stuff sooooo much easier than I ever thought it would.

Just take it one day at a time.

Brian

·
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Well, here it is February and Not a huge amount of anything has happened. The home project drags painfully on. I think I have run into the worlds collection of weird and unforeseen problems. Nothing has moved in the shop TCoupe wise. I have just finished a ton of woodwork and repair of deferred maintenance around the house. Had to have my Septic tank inspected and that was a major criminal conspiracy between the County and the Certificated inspectors I popped out 1100 beans just for the inspection, Oh and I had to dig up the lid so he could lift it and say looks fine..

My back really acted up during the first of January But I was able keep pushing and only had a short down time. I had to put new trim around the whole base of the house because the original cardboard was falling apart. Had to do three sheets of the siding also from where the ol hot tub deck was. I got my brother to do that.

I have a few things to tend to inside and I think they won't be a big deal. When I worked outside on the trim I was able to just set in my wheel chair and work at lap height and it was pretty easy. I would back up and turn around and my Miter Saw was right there on a custom lowered table I built. I needed a board so the wife would pick up a board and set it on the saw ,I measured and marked and cut. Then she helped hold while I shot the nails. Worked pretty good!

The new house, shop, property improvements are crawling. One reason is we wanted to get this house listed at the first of the year. That didn't happen. I busted my rear all month and wanted to get listed on the first of this month, Then we were hit by a snow storm Power was off overnight and when it came back the surge took out my internet and phone. That started a 3 day process with CenturyLink and it took two visits by their tech and they finally repaired their self induced problem and left yesterday.

While all this is going on we are trying to pack and get stuff into storage. I have a moving/storage can in my front yard to load. We are at 80% of capacity so not everything we wanted to get into storage is going to make it so axes may fall again.

I cant believe we accumulated this much stuff in 24 years here. I could call myself a "Good Stuff" collector (Not hoarder) however I am biting the bullet and doing some serious thinning of my electronics shop equipment and keeping only the basics and what I need for fuel injection work. I have not even made any attempt to get the garage even semi packed.

Now looking at the pluses that has happened it is a wash.. The house plans are in the process of being finalized. We still need to settle an issue on my windows but I think they will see the light or glint of green!

I drew to scale the sight plan for the city as they requested a illustration of the house and shop locations. I went full tilt with a plan I drew in a architectural plan program. It showed the whole ball of wax down to the landscape vegetation plan. I took it to the plans office and they were blown away. They usually get a hand drawn property line and boxes for the buildings and that is it from non commercial builders. It made big points with the the plans lady and we should have cooperation completely as long as I stay nice to her.

My banker is just waiting to get the estimates from builders and other subs to get their bids in soon. Maybe sometime before next December we will get started turning dirt. ha ha ha ha

So maybe next month or so I will have some good news and progress.

Meanwhile I will Endevour to Persevere .

That's all folks, That's enough!

·
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
March Update

Here we are, Another month and slowly stepping toward the prize.

Today marked another Milestone. I finally have 99% of the shop moved! I have been packing and sorting for weeks. Today I had 2 20 ft trucks show up and 4 guys loaded it into the trucks and moved everything to Storage near where we will be living as soon as the house sells...

It has been an eye opening experience to be forced to downsize. I say in a forced kind of tongue in cheek. The house was the first shocker actually looking at the junk you accumulate in just a few years. in this case 24 years. We sorted and tossed so much out and made so many trips to the donation center my truck is tired.. We were able to thin the house to about what we had when we moved in. Well actually gained a lot of space by emptying my daughters old bedroom. The sneaky kid was using it for her own storage.. seems every time she came over she managed to stash more stuff.

The house is basics now just enough furniture to set on and a table and beds. We paired all the household down so that all the rest of the house fit into a 8X16 storage container and we sent it off to heated dry storage. The move of the belongings will happen when the house closes. We will then be officially homeless...Temporarily.

My property has been surveyed and marked. I have retained a guy to do the clearing and Put the driveway in. That should happen by mid April. This process is way to slow for me. By the end of April we may just have to Jump Start my contractor. I have Die Hard and a Awesome set cables and concrete blocks!

In cleaning out the shop I sent a lot of "Kool Stuff of to the scrapper and sold my tractor, cement mixer, Yard implements, and a bunch of stuff but still wound up with 2 20 ft trucks loaded to the max weight. I had a mild stroke at the cost but then again it was a 200 mile round trip. 2 trucks 4 guys.. I wish I could have pulled this off myself but working out of my chair lately has been hard so bite the bullet and pay the man!

The crew were Professionals all the way. they filled the trucks in about 2 hours and even packed some items for me that I hadn't got packed. They handled my tools and parts with great care, The impressive part is how they moved my 800 Lb mid rise lift. It was to wide to roll on the ramp so they raised the lift with 2 hand trucks and set a furniture dolly under it and the other end and pushed and pulled that lift up the ramp and made it look easy.

So here I am still packing storage and garden shed and will make 2 more trips to storage 1 to move the TCoupe and the other the garden shed and lawnmower. then it is collapse on the floor..

That is all there is and I am one tired sob tonight.. Till Next time.:cool:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for the update RVW.
Well it is tough, but that is one stage of your relocation dealt with and hopefully the next stages can be done more at your own pace.

Keep us posted and stay well.

Russ.:thumbup:

241 - 260 of 356 Posts