Hot Rod Forum banner

301 - 320 of 326 Posts

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Times 2 on the workshop. The wife and I have an understanding that she is not allowed to place her stuff or park in my Shop. Besides she has a bay on the attached garage and her own 10 X 16 ***** Barn. (she hates the term She Shed) So I won't have to worry about her monopolizing my space.

Oh hey Brian, if you are out there this is for you... Wahhhhhhhh Hooooooooooo we finally getting under way..

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Well that was certainly a long row to plow but you got the furrow straight, sounds like. Bully for you and keep us posted. Good to hear a peep from you.

Reactions: Rip VW

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Hey, do I have a black cloud hovering over me. Surely I must be scheduled for problems for the next millennia.

Hey there IDJ yeah I will occasionally peep. but try not to make a habit of it. ha ha

Site work got a slow start this morning just after they showed up and was starting work we had a series of Thunder cells one after another roll through and the guys being smart said they would return when the cells were done. They returned about 2 1/2 hours later and the weather was quite nice for several hours. They started digging and went about 15 feet and struck the water line to my house. The repair took a couple a trips to the hardware store and about 2 hours of downtime but they got back on it, and by 5:00 pm had 75% of the footings dug.

Here is an interesting side note: About 3 1/2 months ago I called for line locate service. They sent a guy out and he spent a couple of hours mapping power water phone cable etc. They told me they would only trace to the meter but no farther past the edge of my property on the sewer.

So I take photos measure marks and document all the utilities. on paper. I still needed the sewer mapped where it comes across my yard. Short story I hired a locate on my dime

He comes out maps the sewer with depth and location. While he was here I had him confirm the water line location. he marked it all the way to the house.

Well hitting the water line where it was NOT supposed to be was the first clue someone missed the boat big time. the water line was mapped on the other side of the building 30 feet away from where we struck it! I don't know what he was following but the water line was marked clear of the area.

As they are digging the dirt away from the water line they find the main sewer line running next to the water line. It was supposed to be 8 feet away but it was not there but here. we were so lucky we only hit the water line and not the sewer line. I and the contractor were flabbergasted. This was totally screwed up by the independent Locators, they were so far off I thought I heard Chinese being spoken. I guess the old "Trust But Verify" is still a valid policy.

So tomorrow they will finish the footing dig and put the forms down. The contractor has set a aggressive schedule as they will call for inspection on the footings Next Monday Morning and they will pour concrete at 2:00 pm. The basic framing will commence soon after 48 hours or more and the trusses are scheduled for delivery on the 13th and onward from there. Keeping at this pace I will be moving my stuff in by march 30....

I am concerned of damage on my equipment in my storage! My shop was moved to storage by a crew of movers and I didn't see anything obvious but when there is that much equipment and stuff being moved, by people that have never even seen this kind of stuff, and whom are used to moving furniture not car stuff. It may be of a some concern.. I hope I am concerned for nothing. To me the guys looked like they knew what they were doing so we shall see.

No pictures tonight but tomorrow when they get the forms down I will take a couple photos and post them up.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
Hey, do I have a black cloud hovering over me. Surely I must be scheduled for problems for the next millennia.

Hey there IDJ yeah I will occasionally peep. but try not to make a habit of it. ha ha

Site work got a slow start this morning just after they showed up and was starting work we had a series of Thunder cells one after another roll through and the guys being smart said they would return when the cells were done. They returned about 2 1/2 hours later and the weather was quite nice for several hours. They started digging and went about 15 feet and struck the water line to my house. The repair took a couple a trips to the hardware store and about 2 hours of downtime but they got back on it, and by 5:00 pm had 75% of the footings dug.

Here is an interesting side note: About 3 1/2 months ago I called for line locate service. They sent a guy out and he spent a couple of hours mapping power water phone cable etc. They told me they would only trace to the meter but no farther past the edge of my property on the sewer.

So I take photos measure marks and document all the utilities. on paper. I still needed the sewer mapped where it comes across my yard. Short story I hired a locate on my dime

He comes out maps the sewer with depth and location. While he was here I had him confirm the water line location. he marked it all the way to the house.

Well hitting the water line where it was NOT supposed to be was the first clue someone missed the boat big time. the water line was mapped on the other side of the building 30 feet away from where we struck it! I don't know what he was following but the water line was marked clear of the area.

As they are digging the dirt away from the water line they find the main sewer line running next to the water line. It was supposed to be 8 feet away but it was not there but here. we were so lucky we only hit the water line and not the sewer line. I and the contractor were flabbergasted. This was totally screwed up by the independent Locators, they were so far off I thought I heard Chinese being spoken. I guess the old "Trust But Verify" is still a valid policy.

So tomorrow they will finish the footing dig and put the forms down. The contractor has set a aggressive schedule as they will call for inspection on the footings Next Monday Morning and they will pour concrete at 2:00 pm. The basic framing will commence soon after 48 hours or more and the trusses are scheduled for delivery on the 13th and onward from there. Keeping at this pace I will be moving my stuff in by march 30....

I am concerned of damage on my equipment in my storage! My shop was moved to storage by a crew of movers and I didn't see anything obvious but when there is that much equipment and stuff being moved, by people that have never even seen this kind of stuff, and whom are used to moving furniture not car stuff. It may be of a some concern.. I hope I am concerned for nothing. To me the guys looked like they knew what they were doing so we shall see.

No pictures tonight but tomorrow when they get the forms down I will take a couple photos and post them up.

Excellent news Rip. Except the pipe of course.

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Well Well Well I have returned.

So the shop is almost complete and I marked a milestone on this episode of "Hey Lets move and Build a Garage" adventure!

Today marks the first official work resumes on the TCoupe project. I actually got dirty, smacked a shin, and drilled a bunch of rivets out of the firewall in the coupe.

When I moved the car from my old place to storage I just set the body on the chassis then secured it with ratchet straps. I noted it was not setting right but I just needed to keep the chassis and body together through the move and storage.

So now that I can get back on the project I went about to identify why the body was not setting right. First thing I noted was the body was too far back on the frame and the wheel was not centered in the wheel well. The body needs to move forward 1 1/2 inches give or take a 1/2 inch.

Looking forward on the front of the body I see the firewall is hitting the back of the left cylinder head. The firewall bulges forward at this point and hits the back of the left head. The Lower part of the firewal steps in from about the midline down.

It looks like if I go with a flat firewall I just may get the space I need to move the body forward. I also am looking at possibly flipping the firewall around and have it recess into the front. Midway down I would build in the toe board and all will fit.

So before I get too wild I need to remove the firewall and get the body where it needs to be to see just what will work for the firewall.

I had thought of moving the engine forward but I cant do that or the tires will hit the lead pipe on my headers.

At any rate I got in a couple of hours drilling rivets and looking for spot welds. It feels damn nice to be back on the T in my new shop. I still have more finish work in the shop to do like get the overhead air put in and power and light overhead reels installed. Plenty of tools to add to replace what I left behind.

Finally onward back on the TCoupe Project. Whaaaaaaaa Hoooooooo :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Rip, I got 2 x T Coupes, one (Black colour) has a flat firewall as per the pic's attached, while the other I reversed, which works out to be a pretty good deal as you lose no foot space just a little space under the dash.

My reversal was pretty basic, but with a little extra time spent you could get it looking pretty slick.
I did my reversal on the car.

Welcome back old buddy.
May the Gods be with you from now on.

Russ.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
Nice to see you back at it after such a harrowing experience.
Keep picking away and having fun with it RIP.

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Well I now have the steel I need to get busy with the firewall and toe boards. I lifted the body off the frame and now have it on my elevated workbench. I have studied it at length and I made a few changes on my end and I think it will work like it's supposed to. While the body was on the frame I made measurements that show the 32 frame is flat in the middle and at just about the A pillar it pitches up. I have been aware of this and I am looking at how to make things fit, and it looks like I will have to trim the bottom of the cowl at an angle that matches the frame. That is going to be a tricky piece of work. I am going to take a bunch of measurements and photos and make some drawings so I can lay out the plan. It has some interesting inner structure that will require to be messaged. Thank goodness this slice will only need to be cut a maximum of 1/2 inch. Oh photos next time when I get this structure mapped and photographed. So the cutting and hacking is soon to begin again!! 💥:cool:

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Back to work on the TCoupe. The firewall and toe boards are needed to be completed so I can set the body back on the car in position so I can mark where the trim job on the top of the frame needs to be done.

The 32 chassis is not completely flat all along the top as thought. Starting behind the front frame reveal the top of the frame rail makes a slight angle up all the way to where the crossmember mounts. This angle ends about 2 inches higher than the frame backbone. This up angle keeps the body from setting flat. The amount of frame rise that the body sees is about ½ to ¾ on an inch. So the plan is to level that section of frame so the body can set flat. Once the body can fit flatly on the frame then Mounts can be fabricated and the rest of fitting things like new trans mounts etc can be done.

The alternative of trimming of the frame backbone is trimming the bottom of the cowl at an angle. I think that is a bad way to go because of all the internal structure that would have to be cut then reforming the lower cowl skin and I think it would look ugly. I think the trimming of the frame will be less noticeable and it keeps cohesion of the body angles.

So on to the firewall work. The firewall was cut off and will be flipped to make room for heads I need to make a lower firewall and a toe board also and need to make it all look like it was supposed to fit that way.

First step is to work over the upper firewall by welding all the holes up cleaning it up so it can be fit back into the cowl. There were a million holes to plug but I got though it and finished the firewall today. No problem welding the holes up including the quarter sized hole right in the face of the firewall. The patching went off without a hitch and I was impressed that it was all so easy. I used a strip of copper to back up the holes and zip it was done.

So after finishing the upper firewall I took it over and clamped it into position on the body. I can see this next step won’t be as easy. The edge of the cowl where the hood lacing is is in real poor shape. It has been reworked several times it looks like Swiss cheese! The number of holes are significant in that there are a lot of small holes but also a whole bunch of oval shaped holes. These ovals look just to plain big to ever patch and make look good.

So the plan now is to cut a strip of 18 ga and cut the old section out of the body and just replace it with a new strip it will be a little tricky but I feel I am on a roll. When the strip is replaced I can put the parts together and get the rest of this cowl work done.

So in the meantime its “Whack a mole” onward…

The photographic evidence presented includes the following notes.

Photo Explanation

firewall1- The start with the holes

firewall2- More holes

firewall3- Firewall wide shot

firewall4- Welding more holes

firewall5- holes done cleaning up

firewalldone1- Just a touch of primer

firewalldone2- The new backside of the firewall

cowl1- Holes that need patched

cowl2- More holes

cowl3- Upper trim holes and damage

Hey I don't like this limit on images to a post I had 3 more photos and could not post them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good work Rip.
Yes, those oval holes are a problem. They are the holes used to lace the wadding that was between the hood and the cowl edge. I am running a 1/2 hood as you know, so I kept most of them.
Time and patience is what is required to get you thru it.
It wont be long and it will all be behind you.

I am about ready to spot weld my two panels that make up my hood together.
It also have been slow but that way less mistakes and damage is done.

Keep at it my friend.

Best wishes,

Russ.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
It would only be a bit more welding to replace that whole flange instead of welding all the slots.
If you add up all the welding of each oval compared to total weld length of a new piece, you may find it's not much more.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
I already ran into the photo limit too. Didn't like it either. I just continued on another post. Looks like you are having fun and your weld smoke will blend right in.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,080 Posts
Good stuff RIP. I have not posted on my thread for almost a month so it os good to see you back at it. I like what you are doing. 👍

John

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Those oval holes are going to be a real challenge to weld up. There is also some missing metal there too.
Pugsy, You may be right about the labor to replace the flange. I think I might try a hole or two and see how it goes.

Russ, I am going to want to add the weather strip (Wadding) when all is said and done but am not sure about how to attach it. Do you have any photos of how the lacing is done with the big holes or any alternative ideas on how to attach this wadding?

IDJ, Yeah the photo limit Sucks for sure. I almost rolled into the next page but it was late and I was tired. Next time I will! This is a improvement?

John, Thanks for the words of encouragement and support, They are definitely appreciated. My best wishes to you and your family. I know how hard to get going on the 53 with taking care of your wife but the wife is more important than projects.

My best to everyone out there, Stay safe and take care of each other! I am headed out to the shop for some tidy Friday work then to see about the flange :cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Hey Rippy I fell asleep yesterday reading your thread.

Haha, I was exhausted and waited until recliner and larger screen was available and well... zonk.

Anyway I know you are probably Ripping away out in the shop. I am letting the weedeater cool down. Be that as it may-

I gave this area that you are working much consideration on my similar and semi recent 31 coupe job. I have thoughts! You can have them too, if you want. What let my zzzzs out yesterday was wading through my own pics to show at least what I ended up with, which is dead simple. I never made it to searching my thread for it. There was much deliberation, much nothing, then suddenly poof it was there. One of the last things I did on it.

I'll spew the jist of it and it boils down to just what Pugsy said but also includes what cleverness I can muster:

Trim existing leading cowl flange at back of ovals. Cut new strip, bend to match that. Easiest to do three pieces, or maybe halves. Use a 45° or step die loosely, or tip, the angled front edge. Put a step at the old flange so it fits tight and leaves the right seal area width. Make plug weld holes in old flange, screw new in place. Now fit firewall under that, making a total of 3 layers at the row of welds.

If firewall edge is too far back, doesn't reach... simply use a wider strip and plug the wall to it behind the cowl. Once cowl, new strip, and firewall are together with screws, the strip can be tacked and removed with the wall or left on the cowl, whichever suits you. Until you are done tweaking things and are ready to weld.

Get my drift? If not, sketch but later after dark. I toyed with fancy rolled or folded front lips and such also, and we settled on a 5/8" wide D kind of stick on weatherstrip. Don't recall you planning to use a hood though, but I forget easy.

Just don't fight them damned ovals too hard. If wadding or something will go there, having the seam I described won't hurt any eyes if you make nice. If theres not going to be a hood, embrace that and have no flange. If it will have just a hood top, just have flange there. Its whatever you want but ideas, I got a million of em.

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
Excellent drawing. I think you could make a comic book.

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Excellent drawing. I think you could make a comic book.
Already did, long ago. It retrospect it was in poor taste (no I will never tell) but loose drawing is always fun. For me, it is quickest to explain this type stuff. Easy scribbling so free 2 minute cartoon. I got something in mind for you too.

Main thing is lopping off ovals for fresh clean and nice while avoiding a couple yards of butt weld.;) If that serves his purpose.

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Ya know today was one of those days that should have been in a comic book. First off I am looking at the floorboard area just below the reversed firewall. I wanted to get a better look and temporally bent forward forgetting the firewall and promptly smacked the top of my head. I put a horizontal cut across the top of the dome. Next I was going to make a patch for the lower cowl where the strip was destroyed. I cut the piece to size and forgot it was hot when I picked it up and promptly burn't my hand. I then get the piece clamped up and ready to tack it in place. I walked over two the welder intending to get it ready but Darn power cord shrunk and I can't reach the front of the body from where it sits.
Double darn it, I think oh I will build a new power cord for the welder. I have wire and I thought a 220 V plug. I go to look for the wire but there was less than I remember. Ok, I start looking for the 220 V plug and the plug I had was the wrong style to fit my 220 V receptacle. My shop plugs have 3 blades a Common Gnd or Neutral and the 2 hots are vertical with the plug. The plug I had has the blades at a 45 degree angle.

At this point I turned everything off closed up shop and said the Heck with the day. I been bumped, thumped, cut, and burned and didn't accomplish a darn thing. I quit.. Tomorrow is another day...:mad::cool:

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
IDJ,
I like the idea and was right along with what I have been thinking all along. I think the piece can be made in about 3 sections. I like the step to the flange and I don't initially plan to run a hood but I may later. That is the main idea about keeping the flange there and just attach the wadding to the cowl and it will cover the seam. You drawings are spot on Except, the outer edge! My outer edge is curved down not up but it is barely 1/8th of an inch. Not a big deal though. Tomorrow after fixing the welder cord I will cut a piece of scrap and see what it will take and if I have the Skilz to make it look good.. Thanks for the Idears I see great minds think alike. :cool:

301 - 320 of 326 Posts