Hot Rod Forum banner

321 - 326 of 326 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Knowing when to quit is half the battle. Be glad it ain't your 8 to 5!

A man could always roll a bead for the outer lip and just trim up to the bead. To get a kinda half round lip which is more snazzy than tacking coat hanger out there. Put on your cat skinning gloves and give it all a whirl. Hope your cut wasn't too bad. One instinct I've had to develop is not moving my head swiftly whilst in the midst. Always with caution during construction sir.

Reactions: Rip VW

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
IDJ,
Thanks for the drawings, I especially like the hot rod drawing and turned it into my avatar. I have never been very good at free form drawing. Both of my brothers were great at that stuff. I draw stick figures.
Hopefully after fixing the welder cord I will roll the bead roller out and dust it off then make a proof of concept and ability to manufacture the cowl pieces I need. I just happen to have some 18 Ga that is less than 30" and that will allow me to cut the pieces on my shear! We shall see how this goes. :cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Well, I'll be. Look at you. Thumb up back at ya (y) while you rip snort the dual quads. I may add color for you sometime. Was thinking just yesterday that Radir wheel on my avatar is still there and I totally have a fire breathing wheelstanding 69 GP pic that could go there.

I will be lost without corncob pipe dude but am humbly honored. :)

It was a fairly weak scribble, I thot. But I want you to live that scene, yep.

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
OK back to work today, Had to make a run to the store for the correct 220 Plug as the one I was trying to use was a 50 amp large blade plug when I needed a smaller 30 amp plug, Now the welder reaches where I need. That was an OOps on my part in the shop design I should have seen that when laying stuff out. Oh well problem solved. I drug out the bead roller today and checked it out and fixed a couple little problems induced when it got moved but it is running good now.
I grabbed a piece of 18 Ga scrap and played about making the step in the flange and tried my hand at the little droop on the edge and that didn't turn out very successful. With my limited dies I tried a special v die I had and a step wheel to make the droop, but the size of the droop is way too big. I shot a picture of the practice Piece and will include it but it is rough. It looks like to go all the way around using some metal I have will be 4 total pieces I need to make this new flange. and form it to the curve before step forming and finally tipping the edge. This is gonna be a can of worms and another one of them elephants in the room.. :cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Attaboy. Much as I hate doing multiple passes on a step, looks like you may need to go there too. Enjoy.

·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
I grabbed another piece of scrap today and changed to a deeper step die. I ran one practice piece and hit the perfect step first time. I cut 3 strips and step the pieces so that when they are installed I will have a 1" hood shelf. I am going to weld all three pieces together to make one big long strip then center it,clamp it, and weld it..
Cutting the old flange made it look 100% better. No more mangled hole infested hood shelf.. Maybe Thursday I can get back to it as I have to make a trip into town to pick up my new glasses tomorrow that knocks the heck out of about 4 hours.:cool:

321 - 326 of 326 Posts