Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with one of my carbs. in my 3 deuce set up, good idle and then sputters until I kick in my other two carbs. when I go with smaller jets it seems to help but my plugs don't say I'm running too rich.
Thanks for the help
Drifter

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: DRIFTER ]</p>

·
Registered
144 Posts
have you checked the accelerator pump make sure youve got a good stream of gas sounds like its not getting that first good dose of gas to cover up until the vacuum starts pulling from the main bleeds just a ideal

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Wrenchturner. I had '61 Biscayne with (TRW)SB Chevy, Offenhauser manifold, 3 Rochester 2BBL carbs, progressive linkage. Had to bend the tang to the accelerator pump for the primary carb. Ended problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a big cam so I do not much vacuum (about 5.5 or 6)can this be part of the problem?
Thanks
Drifter

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cam was a 3/4 race with hydraulic lifters; totally rebuilt in 1970. Everything was TRW with .030-over rings. I suspect you have an Isky with solids. I do not know the answer but I would pull the primary (middle?) carb and recheck the float level (drop) and accelerator pump operation. For that money, it's affordable to replace the acc. pump just to get a new rubber (or vinyl plunger). A properly bent tang could be everything! Good luck.

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
Hi Drifter, First thing on any multiple carb set up is to make sure the throttle plates are opening equal with a Unisyn syncronizer. If the carbs are designed to open at the same time. Otherwise it sounds like a lean run or accelerator pump problem. Try a small squirt of gas from a spray bottle into the throat as soon as it stumbles and see if it clears.If it does its a bad accel pump. Or you can look down the throat and look for the fuel squirting from a small tube along the side of the venturi everytime you accelrate it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try. I'm also going to put a new power piston assembly with a weaker spring to help with the low vacuum.
Thanks
Drifter

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is regards to the door panels with carpet, try H&H Handicraft Upholsters located in Cerro Gordo, Il. 221 E.South St. 217-763-5731 ask for Tim,Tony or Montay Hyde. They are good at that kind of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts