Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Look in the post at the top on the trans fourm. It tells how to pick out what is what but the main thing to look for in a M-22 is the gear angle. Take off the side cover and look at the angle of the gears. M-20, m-21 will have 45 degrees gears and the m-22 is 22.5 degrees. They used this to reduce friction and in turn gave it a nice greary noise thus the rock crusher.

Chris

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
The famous "rockcrusher" M22 4 speed had the same gear ratios as the M21 but with a heavy duty gearset. Although the gears are not spur gears ( completely straight ) they still produced a fair amount of gear noise thus the "Rockcrusher" name.

How to identify your Muncie 4 speed

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The main reason for decreasing the gear angle on the M22 was twofold. First it allowed the gearset to run cooler. Second it reduced the end loading on the mid plate. The end loading on the mid plate was the primary reason for the angle change. Contrary to the popular tale, the gears are not "straight cut". The only way to tell an M22 is by looking at the gear set. You cannot go by the old method of "it has a drain plug so it's an M22". Also the input shaft cannot be used as a guide because there are various firms now manufacturing replacement input shafts that have no identifying rings. A 100% original M22 is a rare beast, as most have had various gears replaced, and some M22's have been created by installing entire M22 gearsets in an M20 or M21 case.

Vince

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
m22

The only way to be 100% sure is to pull the side cover and check the gear angle like the others have stated. Depending on the year of the transmission there are some things to look for, but as vince stated if the parts were swapped this will not hold true.

The input should have no rings around it.

If it's a 1970 or newer the code on the side of the trans will end with a C

A=m20
B=m21
C=m22

Also all the m22 i have seen that were un molested have had 2 plugs on the passenger side. one is a fill and the other a drain.

A true unmolested m22 is almost none existent today. Can you post a picture of it for us to help you out???

Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't own it. I am going to be getting one soon. I was just wondering if I could tell. I don't want to get the transmission to come home and find out that its actually a M-20 or 21. If i took the side case off. i will need to get a new gasket right?
thanks, Dan

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
If the seller won't let you remove the side cover, pass on it.......................you want to look at the gears to see what kind of condition they are in too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts