Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread in the Engine Section, so please bear with me.

My brother has a '02 Monte Carlo LS, 3400 V6. He had the leaking LIMG, yesterday we tore the engine apart th replace the gasket. Found the leak, replaced the gasket and began the "rebuild". The rockers had to be loosened and the pushrods removed inorder to get the gasket changed. On rebuild the service manuals said to torque the rockers to 168 inch #'s and then rotate an additional 30 degrees. This was done correctly with a TQ wrench and TQ Angle Meter. Once the engine was fully rebuilt, we started it to hear an extremely loud clicking coming from the front valve cover. We took it off, rechecked all the TQ settings and pushrods. All were seated correctly, and the TQ was correct. Started it again, and it still clicked. My brother then called a friend of his to see if he knew what the problem was, he said the we needed to loosen the rockers, bring each piston to TDC then re-torque them. We did this. The clicking is still there, just a slight bit quiter. All pushrods were put back into their correct possition and seated in the lifter and rockers. The TQ settings are spot on.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this click? My brother has to go back to school on Monday, so we need to try to figure this out quickly. Thanks guys.

Merry Christmas.

Chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pull the valve covers,cut cardboard strips and stick them on the lower edges of the heads.Then start the engine,let it idle and with no fear press the wood side of a hammer against each rocker.You will notice which one is clicking.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try the carboard and hammer deal today. Once we figure out which rocker is the culprit, what is the best course of action after that?

I really appriciate the help guys.

Chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well,with the cardboard dams to avoid oil on the exhaust - we always run the engine this way more than we plan - keep on pressing the pushrod end of the rockers individually until you notice a difference.Even though you have followed all the technical adjustments,turn the ones you chose half a turn at a time and listen to what the engine tells you.It is normal for the vacuum signal to drop and the engine slow down and shake a little if you turn too much.Brother will get to school!Good luck.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Solved!!!!!

Paulo, your suggestin did it! I was at work while my brother worked on the car, he found the culprit rocker, tightened it down an additionan 630*, and the click stopped. The car runs like a champ. Thanks a LOT guys, ya'll rock. I now know why I love this site so much.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.