Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can only do two things. 1. Raise the rocker arm higher on the pushrod side. 2. Lower the rocker on the pushrod side.

Raising should be a very simple exercise. Even if your adjustable pushrod doesn't have enough adjustment, loosening the rocker nut and pulling upward should show a noticible difference visually.

Lowering by cutting the stud boss looks like it will worsen the problem because your rocker arm may hit your retainer . I would not do that.

I just think you haven't used any pushrod thats long enough yet. I may be wrong, but thats how it looks from the picture.

·
Registered
14,560 Posts
That appears to have been milled, but I don’t know for sure, however, the proper procedure is to mill it the thickness of the hex as that is not present on the press in stud. If using a sheet metal guide it is also customary to mill the boss to include that thickness as well.

Studs have different lengths both below the hex and above with differences in overall length as well.

Not knowing who did the installation, how they did it and what studs they used is a data disadvantage.

Bogie

·
Registered
570 Posts
stud issue - been there! If you have the correct length pushrod and bottoming out (and correct valve spring install height), only option is to order a slightly shorter stud with more threads nearer to the head- OR another manufacturer with more threads..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
stud issue - been there! If you have the correct length pushrod and bottoming out (and correct valve spring install height), only option is to order a slightly shorter stud with more threads nearer to the head- OR another manufacturer with more threads..
Hey thank you, which studs did you use? I’m having a hard time finding the right ones…

·
Registered
14,560 Posts
It would be good to know what studs you currently have if not by maker and part number then by dimensions.

• Overall length?
  • Bottom screw length from base of hex to end of stud for into the head?
  • Length of stud from the bottom of the hex where it sits against the head to the top of rocker side end of threads?
  • Length of rocker side threads from top of stud to where they end above the hex.?
  • Thickness from bottom of hex to top thereof?

Not all studs are the same in these measures.

Knowing how high the stud bosses are would be useful? I asked some time back that you ask how much the machinest cut the bosses down, this is important, if you can’t get it from the machinest then we’ll have to figure it out. At the minimum the bosses needed to be cut the thickness of the hex of the stud.

Right now we’re here without this essential information chasing out tails. Having numbers is the path out the rest of this is just speculative nonsense.

Bogie

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey thank you, which studs did you use? I’m having a hard time finding the right ones…
I went to arps site, and they have all the lengths there..

hard to find but go here and click the list view - it lists all the specs, incl threaded length.. you can find sth there that fits-

always check amazon, ive found a few that were used/returned (wrong size) for a 1/3rd of the price-

good luck! first time I went thru this i ended up with a decent rocker stud collection for future builds :)

I think the best way to go about it is to install a bare threaded rod 3.8 or 7/16 (or whatever), get the pushrod length correct, and THEN find a stud that has the threads in the correct position so the locks are engaged well and also dont bottom out :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts