Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Caprice/Camaro/BMW
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My heart just about lit on fire today when I heard the small knocking of a rod bearing. :( I would like to do a rod bearing change now while I have the chance before the F***IN CONNECTING RODS THROW LIKE ON MY CAMARO AND NISSAN PICKUP!!

::cough:: Sorry, this car really means alot to me. You may think its nothing but its the world to me. Shes my first car, my Bessie, my '85 Caprice Classic wagon 305. :drool:

Pleaaaaaseeee help me here. I want to know if theres even a possbile way to leave the motor in the car. Thank you....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I hope you have plenty of heart burn meds because you're probably going to need them. First off you have to determine if the knock you heard is actually a rod bearing. If you're not that knowledgeable then try to find someone that is and ask them to help diagnose. Pull the oil filter and cut it apart looking for shinny metal particles including copper. Then pull the pan and look for the obvious and move the big end of the rods around, if theres one gone you'll feel it. Now if you do find one...or more then I'd say the crank will need to come out and get turned along with all the other rod bearings that are probably ruined by the frags. Sorry but theres no easy CORRECT way to do it and make it last...good luck

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Get a Stethoscope, and start and IDLE the engine to warm..

If you don't have one you can make one from a 1/2 PCV pipe..just put an end cap on the end that goes to your ear..make it about 4 feet long..

Place it at the lower end and LISTEN, If you hear knocking..move the end rearward until the knocking is loudest..not what cylinder it is..If not sure of the bank..Pull the plug wire on one bank and listen..If it still knocks, replace the first wire and pull the opposite bank wire.. until the knocking gets quiet..That's your offender..

Pull the plugs, drop the pan and pull the big end cap. Inspect the bearing for wear..Then inspect the Journal..If it looks like it will play on an Edison phonograph, you'll need to pull the engine, disassemble the WHOLE engine, remove the crank and get it to a machine shop..

it must be turned under-size (provided it isn't past runout) Bring the stripped block, rods, and heads with you , have them all hot tanked, Rods checked for straightness, and stretch, Have the machinist Fit the bearing set to the crank.

Have new cam bearings installed..Take the engine home, Hose it down with a pressure washer, paint or "pretty"it up or whatever you want to do, make a 100% CLEAN working area..and re~assemble your engine.. Make sure you check clearances, and use proper torque specifications. Get a rebuild kit..cheaper then one part at a time, HAVE your machinist select it for you so he can match / install the bearings.

you need to be absolutely SURE the engine is pressure washed before you assemble and paint to remove any machine dust..and any metal chips that may be hiding in the gallery's other wise you'll be doing it again soon..

Low oil pressure, dirt and low oil as well as OVER~REVING can cause this ALL of which are under your control..

Doc :pimp:

·
Caprice/Camaro/BMW
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
327NUT said:
I hope you have plenty of heart burn meds because you're probably going to need them. First off you have to determine if the knock you heard is actually a rod bearing. If you're not that knowledgeable then try to find someone that is and ask them to help diagnose. Pull the oil filter and cut it apart looking for shinny metal particles including copper. Then pull the pan and look for the obvious and move the big end of the rods around, if theres one gone you'll feel it. Now if you do find one...or more then I'd say the crank will need to come out and get turned along with all the other rod bearings that are probably ruined by the frags. Sorry but theres no easy CORRECT way to do it and make it last...good luck
327nut:
Well, I did change the oil the other day to all-season 10W-30 like any sane person would do, so I wouldn't screw the motor with 20W-50. When I changed the oil, I examined the drain plug since I replaced it with a "magnetic plug". Sure enough, there was a few tiny small shavings... few very tiny ones, like dirt.

DocVette:
I'll drop the pan here soon to check it out, its probably about time the bearings made some noise... its 194k for crying out loud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.