Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad hat rod build-off is over. It really surprised me that they didn't have it set-up so Boyd won the vote in a close race. I did think that it was poor that his wife had to start with the "trailer Queen" comments. For a vehicle that supposedly was put together that fast, and went that far with only minor problems, I didn't feel that was quite fair. Even Boyd's car, with all of the money and tech behind it, had problems that cost him one leg of the race.

I would personally rather have a vehicle with a flat head that might have problems from time to time, than an everyday chebby small block.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yeah I thought the trailer queen comments were tacky. I have to wonder how hard a no spark problem can be? I don't think any of those guys could troubleshoot squat.
I was glad to hear Boyd praising Mike's team several times during the show. I know he's the guy we all love to hate but I think he probably has his good points too. Nice doesn't sell TV air time, people want drama. And you can say you don't but just look at the message board. Get some crap started like a certain suspended member and the posts never end. Do a thread about favorite front suspensions or something and it won't get a tenth the attention.

3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willowbilly3.... I have to agree with you about the troubleshooting. I would have thought that would have been a relatively easy problem to find. It looked like the motorhome was following just for moral support, no tools or parts available. It was kind of funny how, when Boyd had his problem, the tools and parts were right there.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
It looked to me that the last problem Mike had was with the points. Isn't that Hotrodding 101? :confused: Or don't the youngsters today know anything about points? Dan

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
what's points? :p

I caught the rerun late last nite, fell asleep right after mike was going down the road and something broke. I'll catch the rest sometime. sure like that tivo.:thumbup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
dinger said:
It looked to me that the last problem Mike had was with the points. Isn't that Hotrodding 101? :confused: Or don't the youngsters today know anything about points? Dan
You know of all the kids I graduated high school with that wrenched on cars, i think including me about 3 knew how to set points.

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
oldschoolrods said:
You know of all the kids I graduated high school with that wrenched on cars, i think including me about 3 knew how to set points.

Best way to learn how to set points is to work on a few old lawn mowers..............before they had electronic ignition too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You have to expect problems when you take an unproven car cross country. Doing it with a flathead, no tools, no spare parts or even a spare tire borders on insanity. (At least they had a cell phone) Other than the few minor glitches, it looked like a fun road trip. Troubleshooting doesn't seem to be the crews strong point does it? The model A electrical system is about as basic as it gets.

As far as Boyd goes, deep down he's a genuinely nice guy. The program has shown numerous examples of his loyalty and comittment to his employees. For example, the birthday party he threw for the mentally impaired janitor was a really nice gesture. It certainly didn't appear to be staged. Offering to foot the bill for Blue Bears rat rod build was also very generous, how many employers would do something like that? And when Charlie's dad was dying, it was unselfish of Boyd to encourage Charlie to go right away, even though it appeared that it would cause him to miss the delivery deadline on the junkyard dog '56 Chevy. Heck, he even gave him a ride to the airport.

Boyds wifes trailer queen remarks seemed kind of petty but IMHO she was just carrying on for the cameras.

BTW, how did you guys like those 4lb. steaks? They're like a heart attack on a plate...:cool:

·
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford
226 Posts
The only thing I did not like about the A was that it was too tall. Even a minor chop would have improved it a whole lot. Also, as much as I love flatheads if I was in a cross country race I would have chose something a little more powerful yet still nostalgic. Maybe something like a small hemi, a nail head, a Y block, or a Cadillac V8. I did dig the clear red fuel lines though :thumbup:

Also I believe the handicapped janitor is Boyd’s brother. Correct me if I'm wrong. Did anyone catch the episode where the brother talks to Dwayne and totally changes his attitude for the day, pretty cool.

3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as the points go, I think it is a sign of the times. Years ago, I worked on a race car at the local track. One of the drivers was a master tech at one of the local dealerships. He had problems with his car, and had to change the points. We helped him find the problem, and he changed them out. We went to the track for qualifying, and his car wasn't running right. I ask him if he had re-set the timing, and he looked at me funny. He didn't realize that changing the points would change the timing. He was trained on electronic ignition systems.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
pfft, I'll tell you how to set points. You set them right down in the trash after you pull them and put an electronic unit in.

K:thumbup:

BTW, one of his problems may have been those goofy wires he was using. Proper wires have to be used with points units because they count on a certain amount of resistance.

·
Ferguson Coachbuilding
388 Posts
ya know Jeff, I think I still have my old dwell meter 'round here somewheres!!!!

Randy

·
members.shaw.ca/daltonboys
30 Posts
dinger said:

Funnt you should mention that. Believe it or not I went into a "Part Source" shop awhile back. Looking for a replacement cap and points for my Accell dualpoint. Asked the young fellow if he had the cap.......
counter clerk:......"What type of Car"?
me:......................"Dodge"
C.C......................."Year"?
me:.......................1938
C.C......................."What size of engine"?
me:.......................350
C.C.......................(after spending countless minutes searching for that engine under Dodge)...."they don't show us having that listing"
me:.......................Guess not, it's a Chevy motor.
C.C......................."oh, and what did you need for it"?
me........................points, condenser and cap for an Acell Dual point.
C.C.......................(insert puzzled look) ....what are points? Do you need one for a spare?
........shook my head, smiled at him and the other guy trying to assist him.....*sighed* and went to my local speed shop.

True story........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
MYRIDE said:
Funnt you should mention that. Believe it or not I went into a "Part Source" shop awhile back. Looking for a replacement cap and points for my Accell dualpoint. Asked the young fellow if he had the cap.......
counter clerk:......"What type of Car"?
me:......................"Dodge"
C.C......................."Year"?
me:.......................1938
C.C......................."What size of engine"?
me:.......................350
C.C.......................(after spending countless minutes searching for that engine under Dodge)...."they don't show us having that listing"
me:.......................Guess not, it's a Chevy motor.
C.C......................."oh, and what did you need for it"?
me........................points, condenser and cap for an Acell Dual point.
C.C.......................(insert puzzled look) ....what are points? Do you need one for a spare?
........shook my head, smiled at him and the other guy trying to assist him.....*sighed* and went to my local speed shop.

True story........:rolleyes:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

That is just to funny! But true!

Truth be-known if you asked for anything for a Honda or Toyota
the counter help most likely would not have even needed to look up the part number like 12" dia exhaust or a 12 foot high spoiler.

Worse try to get parts to rebuild a 9inch. I'm to the point its easier to order filters and rear end parts and brake stuff on line than fight with these guys anymore.
Use to be in a parts store at least onece a week, now once every three months at best.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
killerformula said:
pfft, I'll tell you how to set points. You set them right down in the trash after you pull them and put an electronic unit in.

K:thumbup:
No, you take the matchbook you don't need anymore and light them on fire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts