Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I want to make up a set of the old school transparent red spark plug wires. They are solid core and I had a couple questions..

1 Will solid core wires damage a Davis DUI with a flamethrower coil?
2 How many feet of wire will I need for a SBC?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
1 Will solid core wires damage a Davis DUI with a flamethrower coil?
2 How many feet of wire will I need for a SBC?
Solid core will play hell with electronic stereo equipment, but I don't know about messing with the coil. My best guess would be no. Call the mfg and ask them....
PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTORS
2699 Barris Drive
Memphis, TN 38132
901-396-5782
Not sure how many feet of wire to do a SBC. What I would do, if you don't have a set to measure, is go down to the boneyard with a pad, pencil and tape measure. Pull the wires off a derelict that has the wires routed properly and measure them.
A bird's-eye view standing at the front of the motor will have #1 at about 5:30 on the cap.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Header heat.

When I was in college years ago I worked in a dealership, A guy had the red wires on his 60 corvette, when I put it up on the hoist, to clean and readjust the floor shifter the red plastic had started melting, plastic dripping off the wires.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
plug wire

i'm using solid wire on my bucket.. let me say its really stranded wire and is not a resistor types.. needless to say i don't have a radio in my bucket so i don't care if it messes up the radio of the car next to me.. i have used a flamethrower coil.. but i forgot to put in a ballast resistor and smoked my pertornix ign. i replaced the ign and bal res and went back to orig coil...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I run solid core (actually stranded) copper wires and non-resistor plugs in a '64 Corvette with no metal firewall for shielding and much of the wire shielding (used on Corvettes) removed. It also has a Mallory HyFire IV CD ignition and high performance coil. I even solder the ends of the wires to the terminals for the best current transfer.

This plays havoc with the old radio's AM but has little effect on FM. I can't even use my old-style G-meter in the car, even on its own 12 volt battery power supply, as the display just goes haywire and shows gibberish. But my MP3 player and its FM radio (plugs into the power amp) have no problem.

BTW, Mallory recommends that if you want to run their electronic ignition and high voltage coil, solid core wires are OK to use so long as you use a spiral core wire between the coil and distributor, which I do.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Here is the info that came with my ZZ4 (350) crate motor: cyl1: 39.0", cyl2: 41.5", cyl3: 37.0", cyl4: 35.5", cyl5: 32.0", cyl6: 31.5:, cyl7: 30.0", cyl8: 29.0"
The wire looms that came with it route behind the heads, above the headers, then down to the plugs in pairs. ZZ4 uses angled plug heads.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I need to look into them a little further seems some people have crossfire problems with them. For the price I think its probably worth a shot.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
neighborhood interference

the old solid wires with a hot coil would cause problems with TV's when you drove down the street, I don't know if it effects the new electronics. The TIG welder High Frequency also can cause a lot interference proglems.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
High voltage ignition systems will not only crossfire, but fire to ground with solid core wires. If you're running electronic ignition it wont crossfire, but if it's HEI, or MSD, etc. you can't run solid core wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.