Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· ******* Professional
1,620 Posts
Are these same diameter springs (or different installed height)? Sometimes recommended springs are different size. They certainly were on my AFR heads if I went from flat tappet to roller (why I didn't do it - one too many changes and expenses - different retainers and shims).

· Registered
16,303 Posts
I did find the springs that go with the cam kit just hope that I don't drop a valve changing them🤣🤣 thank you guys for the help
With the heads on there are two common ways of tackling this job.

Bring each cylinder as you work on them in turn to near TDC. Remove the spark plug and stuff a length of rope into the cylinder leaving a generous length out side for retrieval. Then bring the cylinder being worked on to as close to TDC as the rope allows. This supports the valves being worked on from underneath Their heads. Then with the tool made for this purpose to compress the spring to remove the locks, retainer and spring.

The other process is similar but uses compressed air to hold the valves shut. This requires an air compressor and suitable hoses and fittings to connect into the working cylinder’s spark plug hole, which can be difficult around the exhaust and other obstructions. The piston moved to TDC and the crankshaft jammed in that position to prevent the air pressure from pushing the piston down the bore. This latter step is to prevent the piston from giving enough distance to allow a valve to drop all the way into the cylinder should a failure occur.

Bogie

21 - 26 of 26 Posts