Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a set of Harland 1.5 ratio roller rockers, 3/8" ARP studs, Manley guide plates, poly locks. They will be going on a 350 with Vortec heads the springs I'm using are Comp Cams 981-16, 1.250 Outer with Dampner the vortecs have had the bosses machined, I know that you need self-aligning rocker arms with vortecs but with the guide plates will I be able to get away with this setup or will i have to buy a set of self aligning roller rockers??



Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
SBC-S-15 said:
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a set of Harland 1.5 ratio roller rockers, 3/8" ARP studs, Manley guide plates, poly locks. They will be going on a 350 with Vortec heads the springs I'm using are Comp Cams 981-16, 1.250 Outer with Dampner the vortecs have had the bosses machined, I know that you need self-aligning rocker arms with vortecs but with the guide plates will I be able to get away with this setup or will i have to buy a set of self aligning roller rockers??



Thanks
Which bosses where machined? The spring seat bosses or the rocker stud bosses? If the rocker stud bosses where properly machined and guide plates used there would be no reason to use the self aligning rockers.
 

·
King of my Man-cave.
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
I'm sure he means the spring bosses. However, I would use self-aligning rockers with the Vortec heads. The bosses are prone to cracking or breaking when pulling the old studs. Best to leave them alone and use the self-aligning rockers (CC roller-tip #1417-16, all you really need for your stock replacement springs, or CC Magnum #1317-16 roller rockers). Remember that it's gonna cost you to have the studs pulled and the bosses milled and tapped for the srew-in studs (necessary for the guide plates). The difference in cost will probably be a wash, especially if the bosses break.

tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Hey Tom, I had a cutter that would cut down the stud bosses with the studs in place. I had it until it just got to dull to cut. It made pulling the studs much easier. I'm sure you must have seen these cutters. Do you think that that would be enough to keep the vortec heads from cracking? If not what about cutting the studs off with a cutting wheel and grinding the stud flush then drilling out the stud with a cobalt ot TiCN bit?
 

·
King of my Man-cave.
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
tresi said:
Hey Tom, I had a cutter that would cut down the stud bosses with the studs in place. I had it until it just got to dull to cut. It made pulling the studs much easier. I'm sure you must have seen these cutters. Do you think that that would be enough to keep the vortec heads from cracking? If not what about cutting the studs off with a cutting wheel and grinding the stud flush then drilling out the stud with a cobalt ot TiCN bit?
Tresi, I have one of the cutters you mention. I don't use it 'cause the stop keeps loosening up. But I do think that you are right, it probly would stop the boss breakage. While time consuming, the method of cutting off the studs would probly work also. BTW, you don't need a special bit to drill out the studs. The inner part is soft enough to drill them out.

tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason behind using Harland Sharpes is I just found some for quite cheap but I'm debating what to do as of now. What i had in mind in the beginning was a simple swap, just unsure of a few things that have mostly been covered. Anyone suggest a decent self-aligning roller rocker?

thanks
 

·
King of my Man-cave.
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
SBC-S-15 said:
The reason behind using Harland Sharpes is I just found some for quite cheap but I'm debating what to do as of now. What i had in mind in the beginning was a simple swap, just unsure of a few things that have mostly been covered. Anyone suggest a decent self-aligning roller rocker?

thanks
Gee, I thought that was in my post, but apparently it was another case of wasting my time.

tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
His point wasn't missed I appreciate the input, I was replying to wildman926 and simply asking other opinions on roller rockers, hences the point of letting multiple people reply to a certain post.
If you feel strongly about people wasting your time, why do you reply?
 

·
King of my Man-cave.
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
SBC-S-15 said:
His point wasn't missed I appreciate the input, I was replying to wildman926 and simply asking other opinions on roller rockers, hences the point of letting multiple people reply to a certain post.
If you feel strongly about people wasting your time, why do you reply?
When people ask questions that I have an answer to or can find information on, I reply 'cause I hate to see them get wrong or outdated information. I take the time to look up part numbers, get specs. etc. However, I probly won't be doing that anymore, 'cause most of the time it falls on deaf ears or the people I'm trying to help have their minds made up already and aren't interested in good advice based on years of experience and a lot of good resources.

tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Not really Tom, I have learned a great deal from guys like you, Cstraub, Troy Curt, Croz, Nairb and even Chucky poo. Sorry if I missed anyone. I've even had a few folks thanks me for advice I've given them, that's why I do it. I'm no genius, I just learn from my own experiences and share as much as I can.

No matter how much time I spend in the shop and in the books there's always more that comes from people like you that do it daily.

Don't stop just because of a few stubborn butts. Those of us who listen and learn enjoy it a great deal.

Larry
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top