Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will adapters for perimeter bolt valve covers together with perimeter valve covers on centerbolt heads clear the wide, ordinary type, roller rockers?

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
On the engines we build we use the Crower stainless rockers or shaft systems and there are no clearance issues with those valve covers.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
CNC BLOCKS N/E said:
On the engines we build we use the Crower stainless rockers or shaft systems and there are no clearance issues with those valve covers.

no clearance issues with what valve covers ? the stock center bolt v covers ? or no clearance issues with the perimeter adapter plates and perimeter v covers ? I been wondering. can you buy center bolt v covers tall enough to clear roller rockers ? or are the dividers in center bolt v covers what stop the use of center bolt v covers and roller rockers from working together ?

thanks

Mustangsaly

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found the answer at Summit's. They write this about the adapters:

"This is an adapter that allows centerbolt heads to use perimeter bolt valve covers. Narrow body rocker arms are required to clear the adapter."

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Mustangsaly said:
no clearance issues with what valve covers ? the stock center bolt v covers ? or no clearance issues with the perimeter adapter plates and perimeter v covers ? I been wondering. can you buy center bolt v covers tall enough to clear roller rockers ? or are the dividers in center bolt v covers what stop the use of center bolt v covers and roller rockers from working together ?

thanks

Mustangsaly
The Crower stainless rockers I mentioned have smaller bodies and we use tall valve covers with no problems as we have seen the adp. from GM leak as far as I know no one uses them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
thanks, so prob the adapter is more to run a set of the perimeter bolt v covers for the guy wanting a period correct look engine.

I just bought a set of proform chrome center bolt V covers, but there no taller than the original GM center bolt v covers. but there for a 350 tbi suburban with original valve train, so no problems.

Mustangsaly

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
I under took this problem back in 03... I used a standard Proform roller rocker and by notching the cross braces of the perimeter adapters from GM it clears the rocker shafts no problem... I did use a set of short chrome GM valve covers with no baffles and had no clearance issues at all... The combination of the adapters and the valve covers made for a pretty trick look... Should have seen the looks when I pulled a valve cover... :D

Here is a pic of what I had back then but sorry no close ups of the modifications but hey it wasnt very hard and was done real easy with a die grinder and carbide bit... I just marked them with a black majic marker and took my time...

Hey its no big deal... :thumbup:

Vortec`s with roller rockers and adapters

Oh and BTW for those that are wondering on the intake its a Team G with reg bolt pattern... We modded the heads to work with the manifold as I was messing with Vortec heads long before even GM came out with an intake... Pretty simple just lay out the holes with the proper tall port intake gasket and on the end holes have the machinest clamp them to the table and drill a 3/4" hole and put a plug in it and then drill and tap the hole to the reg 3/8ths SAE... This takes up the problem of the thin metal in that area and with the Team G its ports were just the right height to match the Vortec`s ports...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts