Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of ProComp 1.6 roller rockers on my 383 that are noisy. Around 2000 rpm it sounds like a solid camshaft. I've pulled and put the stamped steel rockers back on and the noise goes away. Anyone else have the same issue or using the ProComp rockers?

Thanks Mitch

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had that problem with ProForm rockers before. One problem they had was the cup for the pushrod was not sized right. it was like they took all the junk cups and used them. What would happen is that I set the valves and everything was ok. After a moment of running the pushrods would work their way into the cup and create a massive amount of clearance...clearance = noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not like product bashing but i just need to chime-in, EVERYTHING Procomp is cheap junk... When I was racing, I friend grabbed me by the collar years ago and said "if you value a good component inside of your engine, don't connect a Procomp piece of hardware to it, it will explode and take the good stuff in your engine with it."

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
mitchc said:
I have a set of ProComp 1.6 roller rockers on my 383 that are noisy. Around 2000 rpm it sounds like a solid camshaft. I've pulled and put the stamped steel rockers back on and the noise goes away. Anyone else have the same issue or using the ProComp rockers?

Thanks Mitch
You are going to find similar issues with any of the "cheap" rockers out there. Buy a good quality set of rockers and be done with it.

We have all made that mistake (me included). In the end you end up spending more by trying to go cheap in the first place. Now you have a set of junk rockers that you paid for and you need to go spend more money on a good set. So the cheap rockers ended up costing you more than if you would have just bought the good set to start with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm looking getting a new set. Harland Sharp look like what I will get.

This is a great site and a lot of very nice people.

Thanks again.

Mitch

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
mitchc said:
thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm looking getting a new set. Harland Sharp look like what I will get.

This is a great site and a lot of very nice people.

Thanks again.

Mitch

Mitch, Just for your information, although Harland Sharps are very good rockers, all of the ones that I have used (1.65:1) have checked out to have a bigger ratio. In my case, the 1.65s were actually 1.72. I have never had HS 1.5s, but have read that they are also larger than stated.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
While Harland Sharp's are good, I have found Scorpion to be even better. They are finished like jewelry, warranteed for life, good to 1000lbs open spring pressure and .800+" lift, and made here in the US in Florida. Customer service is top notch, pricing is better than most others.

Scorpion was trying to by Crane to keep them alive in Florida but couldn't come to terms on a deal. Scorpion is state of the art CNC, Crane wanted too much for all their outdated equipment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE...

I pulled the Procomps off and bought a set of Comp Pro Magnums.. Installed them and adjusted them and when I started the motor it sounds good. I ran up to the store and on the way back I started to hear them. Sounds like a solid lifter camshaft. My oil pressure is 80 cold 50 hot and idles at 40 hot. running 20/50 valveloine racing oil.

Any ideas??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just some food for thought. I'm kinda having the same problem but I'm starting to think lifters. I put a set of the Harlandsharp rockers and still had some noise. I believe I have a crap set of lifters. They might be new Ford Racing lifters but that doesnt mean squat. They seem to bleed down right after shutting the engine down and start rattling as soon as the engine starts. Then...a few minutes later...they are quiet again. So your problem may be lifters. When I get the car running again they are the first thing getting changed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.