Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i have an 81 el camino with a 7.5" with a 273 posi now what i want to do is take the gears from a astro van (7.5") with 342's now can i use my carrier from the 273 and posi with the 342 gears

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been where you have before with a 1978 Elky, I tried going from 2.41 to 4.10 with the stock carrier and it didn't work, the carrier would go in crooked and couldn't even shim the thing.

I have a new theroy about rear ends (they are such a pain in the ***, shim, preload, all types of **** I don't understand), if you have a question hire a shop to do it because you can't.

Good luck,
Eric

·
Registered
724 Posts
85Sierra said:
i think i read somewhere that the 273 was the beggining of the 3 series carrier is this true?
\

Depends on which axle it is and off hand I can't remember for sure about the 7.5" I imagine though that the 273 is a 2 series. Go to the eatons websight it has them listed there

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Many of the new gear manufacturers make typical 3 series gears that are specifically machined to fit on the 2 series carriers.

In this case the gears are not going to work on the other carrier.
Is there a reason the carrier and everything wasn't removed from the donor vehicle, this little mess would have been avoided?

Setting up a set of gears isn't rocket science, you need a minimal amount of tools and the concept of reading the instructions that would normally be included with a new set of gears, if you don' have them they are all over the internet.

I set up a a set of used gears in my Malibu that I scored for free.
The axle was from an S-10 and had the exact same thing I needed to do the gear swap from 2.29 to 3.73.
I read as much as I could, and researched everything I could find on the internet that "showed" me how to do the swap and do the proper gear mesh patterns, and spent the money on a complete installation kit.

I ended up not having to use everything in the kit (good thing in one instance because I was sent damaged parts in the kit) whatever I didn't use, or couldn't, they took back for credit and I got away with the whole job even cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.