Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I am currently interested in adding a 6-71 blower to my 1969 Cougar xr7. I am not going full pro street with it like roll cage, tubbed rear etc as I still want to keep it somewhat tolerable for street use although I am concerned for the legality of driving around with a blower sticking out, I live in North Carolina and called up the dmv about this but they said it was somewhat of a grey area and were not sure as their is no specific law for objects sticking out the hood but she said cops can pull you over if they believe it is an obstruction of view so I want to ask how you guys deal with this issue do cops give you trouble? I understand that most of you who have a blower on your car use it mostly on the track so cops may not hassle you but I will be primarly driving it on the street I would hate to have to take my blower off after they tell me its illegal.... Some people on a diffrent forum told me my car counts as an antique so it is excused from many laws that apply to normal cars which means that adding a blower is fine... though I dont take their word for it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would first go and talk to the local rodding community, they are the ones dealing with the local cops. I would also like to say to go and talk to the local cops, BUT if they tell you it is illegal and you still do it, you are a very easy target!...

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Hi Everyone I am currently interested in adding a 6-71 blower to my 1969 Cougar xr7. I am not going full pro street with it like roll cage, tubbed rear etc as I still want to keep it somewhat tolerable for street use although I am concerned for the legality of driving around with a blower sticking out, I live in North Carolina and called up the dmv about this but they said it was somewhat of a grey area and were not sure as their is no specific law for objects sticking out the hood but she said cops can pull you over if they believe it is an obstruction of view so I want to ask how you guys deal with this issue do cops give you trouble? I understand that most of you who have a blower on your car use it mostly on the track so cops may not hassle you but I will be primarly driving it on the street I would hate to have to take my blower off after they tell me its illegal.... Some people on a diffrent forum told me my car counts as an antique so it is excused from many laws that apply to normal cars which means that adding a blower is fine... though I dont take their word for it.
You got your answer from the DMV......they said there is no specific law concerning it, so don't worry about it. I have never known anyone who had to remove a blower due to visibility issues.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
The only way I can see it being illegal is if it obstructs your vision by sticking above the hood. Lots of factory cars are supercharged/turbocharged.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I got stopped a lot when I first put My T bucket on the road, I carried a copy of the DMV code book and STUDIED IT. I moved my headlights 2 inches farther apart, had an single original hand operated windshield wiper. The last time I was stopped the cop said put your code book away If you have got a few minutes I want to look your car over, and want to build one.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
One of the problems with talking to the police about it is that each one can have a slightly different interpretation of whether it is a problem or not. And so can a judge if you end up in court with it. It's like anything else, when you want to be different you're going to draw attention and if drawing attention bothers you a lot, then don't do that. There's reasons why some of us like to drive really fast red cars - we don't give a rat about the extra attention it draws. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even though I am not going pro street with my car I always thought the definition of "Pro Street" was a street legal drag car and most of them do have blowers sticking out the hood (or at least the ones I have seen that are on sale) So I always thought a blower would be legal but i guess I was wrong... This makes me think that the "Pro Street" term is kind of outdated as the definition has not changed with the laws of most states. Imagine if i had gone head first into the blower build spending $8k-10k on parts an installation just to find out its illegal. what a day that would have been...

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
I don't think the idea of Pro-Street ever tried to fit the rules of law. That was a term that somebody or Car Craft Magazine came up with ages ago and put on cars that were "street-able" racing cars. In a lot of places, you hang wipers, lights and mufflers on it along with registration and you're good to go. The fact that you have to stop at every other gas station is just part of the fun.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
People with Pro Street cars USUALLY define it as Tubbed Rear, lots of chrome or billet and a seriously modified engine. There are Street Rodders who have 290hp crate motors, huge tires and lots of billet; that sub culture is often called "the Pro/Street-look"

Buy a spare hood, modify it, strap that huffer on and GO!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think the idea of Pro-Street ever tried to fit the rules of law. That was a term that somebody or Car Craft Magazine came up with ages ago and put on cars that were "street-able" racing cars. In a lot of places, you hang wipers, lights and mufflers on it along with registration and you're good to go. The fact that you have to stop at every other gas station is just part of the fun.
Ok now that makes sense I thought "Pro Street" was an actual term for these types of cars. So from the information I gathered from this forum it is pretty much illegal to drive on the streets with a blower sticking out the hood in NC, it's just up to the officer on whether he wants to enforce it or not, I guess a roots blower will remain a fantasy of mine for ever I cant see myself spending all that money and risk getting pulled over everytime I see a cop. I still do wonder how people get away with it in Cali I see them driving hot rods around all the time and they have much stricter rules when it comes to cars.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Ok now that makes sense I thought "Pro Street" was an actual term for these types of cars. So from the information I gathered from this forum it is pretty much illegal to drive on the streets with a blower sticking out the hood in NC, it's just up to the officer on whether he wants to enforce it or not, I guess a roots blower will remain a fantasy of mine for ever I cant see myself spending all that money and risk getting pulled over everytime I see a cop. I still do wonder how people get away with it in Cali I see them driving hot rods around all the time and they have much stricter rules when it comes to cars.
Not trying to beat the horse here but "illegal" is someone's definition. If an officer thinks it's a problem, then maybe it is but honestly I doubt if you're just cruising if it would matter that much. I see trucks around here jacked in the air that can't possibly meet the bumper height requirements but they don't get pulled over for it. Now, if they're in an accident and a officer wants to make an issue of it, they might get an extra ticket for it. And how about the people that drive their small sedan home with a box-spring and mattress on the roof and they're holding onto it with their hands out the window? Isn't that a safety issue but how often have you ever seen someone pulled over for it?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It is at the officials discretion. If you drive like a old man never really pushing yhe motor you will be fine. If you are caught going sideways down onramps you might get pulled over.

I hate the look of a 871 unless it is on a 871 diesel. If I wanted a supercharger then a vortec can run the same boost numbers while fitting under a hood. So can a turbo. Or a NA motor running 10.5 to 11.5 compression all hiding under the hood putting out the same if not more hp.

People only run a 871 for looks.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Most all of our stuff is officially illegal based on the great state of NY's standards due to lack of mufflers and 4" exhaust. But we don't get bothered due to we aren't insane about making noise in populated areas, in traffic, or in the presence of guys with guns and badges.

There is no way in he** you're the only guy in your town with a blower sticking out of the hood, and I'd find it hard to believe you will be the last. The biggest issue I see you'll encounter is if your vision is severely impeded due to it's height.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
I got stopped a lot when I first put My T bucket on the road, I carried a copy of the DMV code book and STUDIED IT. I moved my headlights 2 inches farther apart, had an single original hand operated windshield wiper. The last time I was stopped the cop said put your code book away If you have got a few minutes I want to look your car over, and want to build one.
So funny, I have heard so many stupid things about "laws" from people who are just repeating what they have heard. It's just being human, not knocking them but you need to find out facts. I have heard forever things like "The tail lights need to be three inches in diameter" which is wrong or "The windshield has to be a foot tall" which is wrong so many like that. I studied the DMV "Vehicle code" book on many of these things. Yes, I got pulled over in my chopped top 1948 Chevy pickup by a cop telling me it needed a bumper. I said "I'm sorry officer but it's registered as a commercial and it doesn't need one front or rear, that is only passenger vehicles." He said, "yep, you are right, have a good day" and went back to his car.

Brian

Reactions: techinspector1
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.