Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in the process of taking everything off my 41 Buick, the only rust and rot I found was the entire trunk area is shot. Knowing that I have a better chance at making snow in summer, than actually finding a patch panel for such an item how important is it to keep the "fashion lines" in it. I figure I will have to either weld a piece on top or completely remove it. I need to know if that is the right route, cut and replace. The previous owner just cut a piece of plywood and stuck it in there, yeah from the outside and trunk it looks real, but for those of us who crawl under the vehicle the holes with wood poking through looks shoddy. Yes I am a Northerner so I can use the word shoddy.

The other issue is the gas tank I would like to know peoples opinions on in the trunk vs the OEM version. I am tossing both around. One case I loose trunk space, but can fit 5 families in the backseat alone in this car so that really doesn't become to much of an issue.

Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you carefully use a cutting wheel on a Mikita you should be able to cut the floor from the truck in one swiss-cheesy piece. You can then use the good old cardboard again to make a pattern and find a usable replacement. May I suggest the floor of pickup beds or the inside floor of full-size vans? Failing that any sheet metal shop can roll some stiffening beads in sheet for you very reasonably.
The gas tank issue has but one correct answer. Keep the tank outside and under as it is. Since you're removing the rear bumper the back chunk of the frame is better protection for the tank than quarter panels and decklid.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Never cover rust up, it just keeps eating away.
Get a hemmings book ,An buy a new floor pan, then everything is right and easier.

www.hemmings.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts