Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is a late 70s model 350, edelbrock carburator and torker intake, 3/4 cam, high volume oil pump, 10.3:1 compression ratio, accel distributer. My problem is that about once a month my rotor cap will break. The engine will run great for a while until just all of a sudden it will break about once a month. I have checked the timing and it is set correct. This is happened several times and I would like to know if there is something I can do to save on rotor caps.
Thanks

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The distributer cap is at least 2 inches away from the firewall, and Ive made sure that it is latched down with all the clips on right. It doesnt break under heavy acceleration, its almost like the rotor cap just explodes for no reason. When the rotor cap breaks, there isn't a single crack or anything else wrong with the distributer cap. And I Forgot to mention that its a HEI ignition.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Have you checked for bearing wear in the distributor.

I would pull the distributor and check for side movement in the shaft. The rotor must be hitting something inside the cap. Any evidence of that?

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't looked for that yet, but I will be sure to. If the bearings are worn, would it be better to replace them or get a new distributer since I was looking into getting a better one anyway?
Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
906 Posts
WakBoardr7387,

I would check the end play on the distributor. This will cause the shaft to move up and down on the drive gear. Then when it comes up too high it hits one of the pins and, like a hammer hitting a nail the cap will shatter. Does the rotor get messed up too?

I would replace the distributor because I do not know of a parts house that will sell you the bushings you would need to rebuild your distributor.

Good Luck
Scholman

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scholman said:
WakBoardr7387,

I would check the end play on the distributor. This will cause the shaft to move up and down on the drive gear. Then when it comes up too high it hits one of the pins and, like a hammer hitting a nail the cap will shatter. Does the rotor get messed up too?

I would replace the distributor because I do not know of a parts house that will sell you the bushings you would need to rebuild your distributor.

That sounds about what I think its doing but its the rotor cap that keeps breaking, when I look at the distributor cap there isn't a thing wrong with it. Its weird because the first time it happened the rotor cap was completly demolished but this last time it only came up screwed and chipped the side off of it.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.