Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, could use a little advice. About a month or so ago I replaced the plugs and wires on my truck. 69 Ford F250, 360 motor. After changing the plugs to Bosch Platinums I noticed the idle got a little rough, when I say a little rough, I mean not rough like it has a miss. So I figured I'd check the timing, I looked on the balancer to make a timing mark and the previous owner had one, at 10 o BTDC, the book says 6, so I figured what the heck, I'll throw a light on and see what happens, turns out the mark the previous owner made doesn't line up with the pointer, my question is, is there anyway to tell what my timing is actually at? Or should I just set the timing to 10 o BTDC and see if it clears my idle problems up. Thanks in advance for all help.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Advance

Doc here :pimp:

Did you check it with no Vacuum advance hooked up?

Try that I'll probably be around 6.

Doc:pimp:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc, first time I checked it the vaccum advance was hooked up. Then I realized, crap the vaccum advance is hooked up so I unplugged it. Do you need to actually remove the springs or is un plugging ok?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Advance

Doc here:pimp:

Remove and plug the vacuum line. Machanical will stay the same.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
4 Posts
oldschoolrods said:
Hey guys, could use a little advice. About a month or so ago I replaced the plugs and wires on my truck. 69 Ford F250, 360 motor. After changing the plugs to Bosch Platinums I noticed the idle got a little rough, when I say a little rough, I mean not rough like it has a miss. So I figured I'd check the timing, I looked on the balancer to make a timing mark and the previous owner had one, at 10 o BTDC, the book says 6, so I figured what the heck, I'll throw a light on and see what happens, turns out the mark the previous owner made doesn't line up with the pointer, my question is, is there anyway to tell what my timing is actually at? Or should I just set the timing to 10 o BTDC and see if it clears my idle problems up. Thanks in advance for all help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts