Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a:

6AL
Blaster 2 coil
Pro-billet Dist

on:

1966 Pontiac Le Mans with a rebuilt 400CI aftermarket.

I was doing the 30 min break in with my new 400 CI...was getting too hot so I went to turn it off and it did not kill the engine. I went and found the troubleshooting procedures on MSD. Found the info on how to fix a run on engine.

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3296

MY QUESTION- What is the charging light they mention?

I found the Voltage regulator and the wire they recommended to install the diode on. The previous owners did have the wiring screwed up a little bit. I want to make sure the wire is hooked up to the thing MSD recommended.

I have a couple ideas of what it might be, but before I started tearing into the dash I wanted to have a better idea.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The exiter wires going to the alternator is what they are talking about. Unplug the alt 2 wire plug and see if it shuts off with the key. I had one years ago when the 6AL first came out that did the same thing and the diode fixed it.

Hope this helps, Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is throwing me off is the mention of a "light".

The Diagram on the MSD tech page shows putting the diode on either the Alt wire or the Voltage Reg #4 wire(for GM).

You are right about it correcting the problem, I was just curious what the diode was connecting to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.