Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice how kids who are too short and can't see what they just HAVE to see think nothing of stepping on the Running Boards and grinding dirt into the paint? Besides standing guard with a 38; what do you-all do to stop this action when you are showing you running-board-equipped vehicle?

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
1,947 Posts
Everyone I know props the door open.

But, you know parents can't always control their kids no matter how hard they try.

I think it's just something we have to live with. It goes with the territory.

This isn't much help, I know.

454 RATTLER

·
Registered
413 Posts
A guy at our local cruise-in brings narrow carpet inserts to the cruise-in. Once there, he places them on the running boards, held on by a snap at each corner. Seems to work for him. :welcome:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
I hate how the car looks with something laying on the running board. I mean, it's like plastic seat covers, why not just let the seats get worn out, it looks better than the stupid seat covers, right?

I had forgotten about this, it is an anxiety filled day having painted running boards at a show. I'm thinking maybe the clear plastic rock guard they apply to fronts of cars these days? We have a guy that comes around installing it at the shop who would easily cover any running board I have ever seen without so much as one air bubble in it. Darn near invisible too, maybe that is an idea?

Brian

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I'm going to use a chrome license plate frame with carpet for a step plate.

Children, or heathens as I refer to them, especially in the stores or car show, need to be reminded...that their parents are idiots. :nono: Thankfully it's a very small percentage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
may work for some

I did the body and paint on a 40 Ford coupe that the owner did not want to spend the $$ for new boards and felt the work needed to smooth them was senseless. So the guy who did the interior covered them in padded vinyl, I had my doubts and know its not for everyone. But I think it worked well here, and saved me tons of time.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
That is one of those details that stands out on a well thought out custom..I have seen a number of ways that allow the running boards to be stepped on that still look good and protect the paint..One way i saw is that the owner had molded in raised strips the length of the boards and then put strips of non-skid on the raised areas..made a nice finishing touch to the car..the rest of the car was just as well thought out as well..Spells winner to me..

Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.