Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas for covering the running boards on a 37 Ford? Don't want to get excited when people step on it. It's in the squirt shop now. Kandy Apple Tangerine, 3-D flames, 454, air scoop on hood, older style Optima rims, the blacked out part on them will be painted the same color as the body. Front is about 5 inches off the ground. Shaved. It's a smoothy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
seen one here that has custom made stainless covers over the running boards in the shape of flames looks real good.the flames run down the length of the boards and matches the flame job on the fenders.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I seen a couple sprayed with the truck bed liner stuff. Looks good and will definatly take repeated foot traffic. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,134 Posts
bed liner is good, i will be doing mine inside the cab of my 55 whenever i get my box done, also powder coating is good too for tennis shoes. my back bumper was powder coated and it might as well have been spray paint, what with rocks, plywood, garbage, metal, mud etc etc rubbed and scrapped over the tops. it's 6 months old.
of course i'm talking about my pontiac in the picture, i always use it to haul building materials!!! :D

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have my 36 running boards sprayed with black Linex Bed Liner material. Their product is sprayed on hot(about 145F) and keeps it's new look and from my experience, is much tougher than others. I have this in my Bronco half cab and it looks good as new (been in for 3 years) after taking thru spray wash. The material will be sprayed as thick as you request and 3/16" gives you the nice detail of your running board. No more cringing when you best_______steps on the board with no thought of what a turning shoe does to the paint!! , By the way, they have many colors, but a good dealer will tell you up front that black is the most ultra violot resistant and I believe them!!

Trees

·
Registered
369 Posts
On my 34, i used body side moldings, The ones you buy at the auto store. Cut them the lenght you want and stick them on about 2 1/2 inches apart.
Best thing they come in colors.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Cover them with the clear rock guard material. That way the color shows thru but won't get scratched.

Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
M-Hauler, I know it sounds harsh, but I found it easier to say "Don't step on the board please," than it was to find something that would take the abuse. Even my wife will tell a grandkid "Don't step on the board." After they hear "Don't step on the board please," a couple of times they start telling you before they get in the truck..."I know...don't step on the board please." Occasionally, if it's an older person, or a tight skirt, I do have a folded-up towel that I keep handy for them to step on if they can't make the whole distance.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Awesome 34 and Kev, I'll have to remember those tricks when I get that far. Trees we got a rhino liner place just outside of my little town. Even that would be convenient. Hmmmmm, which way should I go when the time comes? I'll have to see what works best with my color scheme.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Slomotion I use to say that on my 34 Chevy coupe (boards wrapped in naugahyde). But now days I have found a better way, Don't run Fenders or running boards. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
38 Special, Rhino and Linex is like Mcdonalds and Burger King. Both are franchises and have their specialities. I think of Rhino as tough and burley, goes on thick and stands up pretty good to lots of abuse, shows the wear and tear quickly. Linex goes on more delicately, showing contours such as ribs in some metal running boards. A Linex sample will actually sand Rhino material and not have a scratch. They both offer some color variety, but are both prone to fade from ultraviolet exposure, some colors worse than others. Black Linex does not and will look like new after spray and wash. I did not hesitate to put Linex on my 36 Ford PU running boards and they look great. 10 years from now I may have to paint them, but I don't worry about that!! I'll try to get some pics and post them one day this week. They are wrapped in the barn waiting for installation and even we have had chilly weather here!

Trees

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with slomotion. Leave it painted. I had a '40 tudor Chev Sedan that lasted 21 years before some high-heeled b____ stepped on it , but the pleasure I got out of reading her the riot act made up forthe 30 minutes of buffing togetrid of the mark. Seriously, consider putting on the running boards the magnetic signs that most classic car insurance agents give you with various messages, ending in "don't touch". Nothing beats the car color!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll deal with the same decision soon on my '35 Hudson coupe. Years ago I gave a late 30's Nash front-clip to a restoration shop when I was moving and by chance they were replacing the rubber on a Caddy's runningboards. They showed me a catalogue with a huge variety of rubber trim materials & strips. It's definately available.
Sorry I don't have the Co name. One of my customers had a 41 Dodge coupe with the narrow runningboards he had me remove and I custom-made rockerpanels for it to the bottom of the fenders. He was very pleased with the look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a1934 ford with painted running broadsIgot some mud flaps for a truck8inch wide and a 12 inch long and glued it done look good. my car in the photo Album look at ilkid34.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
ilkid34 I'm going to have to have new running boards made for mine as they are pretty well shot. I'm not using running broads like you have. LOL! My wife won't let me run with the broads anymore. Just kidding reread your post. Trees thanks for the add'l info. Ramjoe that's a good idea too. Didn't realize there were so many options. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 39 plymouth coupe, and I found replacements were almost impossible to find. so I went to my local hardware store and found some black ribbed hall runner material. I cut it to fit and glued it to my running boards with some rubber cement that the hardware store people suggested.they look like they belong there,and I don't have to worry about stepping on them.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Fludacoupe, Metalman are those your cars in your avitar? If they are I like. :cool: Especialy the Hudson. I go for cars that are a little off the wall as you can tell by my DeSoto.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What's wrong with using the original type rubber. For Fords you can buy boards already covered or buy the material to cover your own.
Jack

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of Fludacoupe and WoodsEdge ... putting rubber strips along the high-spots of the runningboard.

I was thinking of using that stuff they sell for stairs ... ladders ... good grip, black, and should keep feet off the paint.

WoodsEdge : Where'd you buy the stuff you mentioned?

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What ever you decide, You'll have some kids standing on the running boards. That's just the way it is. Some parents don't tech there kids about show cars and the money that goes into them.
Have a friend that a kind stepped on the running boards and he said please don't stand on the running boards. The kids dad told my friend: If you don't want nobody touching your car the keep it at home.

There people out there that just don't care or just don't get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts