Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law has got a 65 Ford Falcon. He is running an early model 302 in it with an automatic transmission. Temperature on it is running 190-200 degrees. He has changed the thermostat (180*), had the radiator checked, and changed the water pump. Any ideas what might be causing this. Thinking about going with an electric fan, do you think it will help.

Thanks

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
timing too high?I'd check that first.Is there a fan shroud?I'd check those first.bm

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here :pimp:

190 to 200 degrees is Normal for most vehicles ... what did it used to run at?

Is the engine Actually running hot? Boil over, hard hot start etc...

Could be the temperature sender is bad, or being a 302 in a 65 foulcoon <---misspell, but I like it so it stays...) may not play well with the stock gauge.

Look at or replace the radiator cap, Check your hoses, be sure they don't collapse under pressure, If their spongy replace them. Be sure you have 50/50 or better Coolant. If you don't have one, get a coolant recovery Kit and install it, this will purge air, and not lose coolant.

Have a pressure test done on the system to look for leaks.

As Batman said, a shroud is a must! If it dosen't have one get one on there!

Check your timing for over advance, and your carb for over lean...both will heat it up.

If you have a heat riser or an EFE on the Exhaust, Check that they work and open, these will add extra heat. Check to be sure None of the pipes got crushed.

These are some of the issues that will effect heat ...

Doc:pimp:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts