Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 1996 dodge grand caravan se and it all of a sudden started skipping and backfiring so i pulled parts store and it showed a camshaft sensor fault. so i changed it according to haynes manual with no results.at the advice from a friend i changed the crankshaft sensor with no results. it will not even stay idled without cutting off and if you try to give it gas it backfires then chokes down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
One thing I often try is to pull the dist cap and spray in inside and out with WD-40 to see if there is any change. Often this will stop a crossfire and indicate that you need a new cap.

Then try spraying the wires also, then the coil.

Sometimes excessive plug gap will get to the point that the wires or coil can no longer fire them consistently. If the fire is jumping out of the coil terminal you might see a white spot. Sometimes the extra load ruins the coil and performance goes bad quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.